Household appliances make life easier by taking over many things, but you need to know at what temperature wash the bedding in the washing machine: not a single machine can determine this independently. It depends on how well the washing mode is chosen, how the laundry will come out of the drum of the machine. Improper temperature conditions reduce the quality of washing, and in some cases cause damage to the laundry.
One of the numerous studies has found that dirt weighs on linen of average pollution by 2–4%. Everything that falls on the sheet, a duvet cover and a pillowcase, remains on them. These are skin lipids (fats), protein compounds, room dust, body creams. All this goes rancid with time. The laundry should not lie in the basket for a long time in anticipation of washing: over time, there will be an unpleasant odor and deterioration of washing. The box for collecting dirty laundry should be ventilated; its walls may resemble a basket-like structure or have ventilation holes. Wet things in the basket can not be placed, because after a while mold appears.
Before washing the linen is sorted: white to avoid staining is separated from the color. This is the basics of washing. Sort from each other, you also need underwear from different fabrics (cotton and silk). Duvet covers and pillowcases turn inside out, and the corners are thoroughly cleaned with an old toothbrush. It is often recommended to grab the holes in the duvet cover by hand with several wide stitches so that nothing is wrapped into it during the wash, but in fact no one does.
For one wash, the amount of laundry is selected, corresponding to the washing machine loading norms. It is not necessary every time to resort to using weights or trying to remember how much a bed sheet weighs, but how many a duvet cover. It is easier to remember that the maximum load for the following types of linen is:
- 1 Cotton – completely filled drum (linen is free, and not tamped).
- 2 Synthetic – half load.
- 3 Silk and wool – loading by one third.
When choosing how to wash bed linen, you should consider the durability, depending on the type of material from which it is sewn. Calico is the most commonly used, but silk, satin, satin and linen – for an amateur:
- Flax is the most resistant to wear, but too heavy and coarse, poorly smoothed after washing and very easily wrinkled;
- Sateen is light and pleasant, but expensive, so sateen underwear is not found in every home;
- Silk and satin to the touch are smooth and pleasant, but wear out too quickly, especially if the washing is incorrect with the wrong temperature setting.
Producers of various powders vied with each other that their product washes almost everything and even in cold water, washing specialists assure that only high temperatures are necessary for high-quality washing. It is easy to get lost in this information, but only common sense, experience and following the information on the labels or packages of linen will help to find a middle ground.
Correct determination of temperature is an important component of effective washing. The degree of exposure to chemical components of the detergent also depends on it. But the heat is normally tolerated only by cotton things.
The temperature range should be selected in accordance with the information on the label. If it is lost and the necessary values are erased from memory, then the general principles for washing cotton bed linen are as follows:
- 1 to 40 ° С – suitable for frequent washing of all types of home textiles (including bed linen) in case there are light and medium contamination. Intense spots should be pre-washed.
- 2 to 60 ° С – intensive washing for persistent contaminants, but they are recommended to be pre-treated with an agent for this type of contamination. In this mode, you should wash the adult and children’s underwear for the bed, which during operation was heavily soiled.
- 3 Boiling mode (95 ° С) not only washes, but also performs temperature disinfection. This mode is chosen when washing kits for newborns, people with skin diseases or to remove stubborn dirt.
Heavily soiled things can be pre-soaked for half an hour with a small amount of detergent, rinsed, pressed, put into a drum machine and begin the main wash. The brightness of the pattern depends on the temperature at which the bedding is washed. At high temperatures, beauty can quickly fade. Ideally, only white cotton fabrics behave in strongly heated water.
Set the optimal mode
According to the types of fabrics, this temperature and washing mode are set:
- 1 Satin and silk – “hand wash” mode, 30 ° С.
- 2 Satin and flax – any mode, 40-90 ° С.
- 3 Chintz, cambric, bamboo – delicate wash mode, 40 ° C.
- 4 Polyester – synthetic mode, 40 ° C.
- 5 Coarse calico – cotton mode, 60 ° C.
If you follow the recommendations on temperature, bedding sets will last a long time.
It should be remembered that any fabric is non-eternal, it has a service life strictly reserved for it. But if it is reduced by incorrect washing or not, it depends on the operating conditions.
A new set of linen before use should always be washed at the maximum temperature recommended by the manufacturer. This will allow the excess paint to go off if the fabric is dyed, as well as dust and dirt accumulated on the fabric during sewing. It should be borne in mind that shrinkage may occur during the first wash. Do not panic – this is normal and such changes in the parameters are usually taken into account by the manufacturer when sewing.
The optimal frequency of changing and washing large bedding (sheets and duvet covers) is 7 days. If in this mode, wash kits constantly, they will keep a fresh look for a long time. For a week they will not have time to become very dirty, and therefore each time they will become easy to wash off. But the pillowcases, on which the face cream falls, hair care products, cosmetics, get dirty faster, they should be replaced 2-3 times a week.
Patients with a temperature of bed linen are replaced for washing after 1-2 days, and the pillowcase should be changed more often, because at elevated temperatures, people often sweat and the pillowcase becomes wet.
If suddenly it turned out that a colored thing got into the drum along with the white ones and all the linen was colored, you should immediately send the white laundry to the second wash in the intensive mode or first put it in the container with oxygen bleach for 50-60 minutes, and then wash it in typewriter. Instead of oxygen bleach, you can use ammonia. It is poured into water at the rate of 10 ml per 5 l and the colored laundry is placed in a basin for half an hour. Then rinse well and arrange intensive washing in a typewriter.