For hypertension, doctors recommend keeping a blood pressure self-management diary. If you correctly measure the pressure and record them clearly, you can help your doctor monitor blood pressure jumps and correct the course of treatment in a timely manner. Modern technologies allow to automate the process of monitoring blood pressure.
Why keep a diary?
Every person who has experienced the diagnosis of hypertension in the medical record knows that this is not a disease, but a way of life. Pressure jumps enter the patient’s life, it is not easy, and sometimes it is possible to get rid of them, so a person has to accustom himself to a new way of life. Blood pressure diary is one of the innovations in life with a new diagnosis. Regular recordings help the attending physician adjust the course of drugs to reflect changes in the body.
Such notes are one of the first stages of diagnosing the disease, when it is still unclear how the patient’s pressure changes during the day or under the influence of external factors – stress, irritation, emotional outburst, etc. It’s physically impossible to remember all the numbers, and The specific time of day clarifies the picture of overall health.
Features of keeping a blood pressure diary
What are diary templates?
The blood pressure control table can be of any shape. The main task for the patient is to include in it all the necessary information for the attending physician. Therefore, if the doctor asks to make regular measurements, it is better to ask him in what form it is more convenient for him to obtain results for data analysis. You can keep a table in notebooks, but modern technologies allow you to automate this process. For example, in Excel or Google doc, you can use automated analysis tools, build dependency graphs and calculate the probabilities of changes in indicators. The latter option allows control over the Internet. It is better to check with the doctor what method is most convenient for him to further assess. Below are examples of diary caps:
How to keep a diary of pressure?
- Filling out the diary should start with basic patient data.
Before you fill the schedule of blood pressure, you must fill in the first page. The name, weight, date of birth and contact number are entered.
Back to table of contents
How to measure blood pressure?
Any blood pressure monitor can be used to measure blood pressure. It is necessary to fit the cuff in size, if necessary – to calibrate the measuring device in a timely manner. There are mechanical, semi-automatic and automatic tonometers. The last of them are the most convenient to use.
- It is recommended to sit straight, keep your legs and back straight.
- Before the start of measurements, conduct a series of deep breaths, on each exhalation, more and more relaxing.
- Directly during the measurement can not talk and move.
- The cuff should be set at the level of the heart.
- The arm with the cuff should be relaxed, released from the sleeve.
- Circumference hands and cuffs must match.
- Half an hour before the measurement can not be smoked, 60 minutes – drink coffee or tea.
- 5 minutes before the procedure you need to relax.
- Repeated measurement is made in 1-2 minutes after complete descent of air from the body of the cuff.
- If there is an arrhythmia, it is measured within 15 minutes 4 times.
- The measurements taken in the morning before breakfast are considered basic.
If you break these simple rules, you can get a distorted result even on the most expensive tonometer. Therefore, do not hurry and worry. The correct indicators of pressure recorded in the diary will help the doctor correct the course of treatment in time and the patient will be able to avoid unnecessary complications.