When violations in the work of the internal organs, they signal their trouble pain syndrome of varying intensity. The attack of gastritis proceeds with complaints of abdominal pain. There are some features of its course, which will allow you to make the correct diagnosis and provide first aid for this disease.
Structure and function of the stomach
The stomach is a hollow muscular organ, its functions include treating the food bolus with acidic gastric juice and moving it further into the duodenum. Pathogenic bacteria die in the stomach, primary protein processing, some absorption of water and glucose are taking place. In addition, the cells of the stomach are involved in the transport of vitamin B12 and secrete a number of digestive hormones.
The mucous membrane of the stomach has a layer of protective mucus, which eliminates the “self-digestion” of the stomach. However, as a result of the aggressive effects of alcohol, the damaging effects of certain types of food and drugs, the action of Helicobacter pylori bacteria, the blood supply to the mucous membranes is disturbed, and acid production increases. In this case, an inflammatory process occurs, which results in the release of biologically active substances into the blood. This signal goes to the central nervous system and forms a sensation of pain.
What are gastritis?
- Acute gastritis. In this disease, pain is caused by an intense inflammatory response. The cause of acute gastritis is most often the ingress of pathogenic bacteria (staphylococcus, salmonella) or aggressive contents (alcohol, chemicals) into the stomach.
- Exacerbation of chronic gastritis. In this case, the intensity and nature of the pain depends on the degree of mucosal lesion (surface, erosive, or atrophic gastritis) and on the localization of the process (antral, fundus, or gastritis of the body of the stomach).
How does the attack proceed?
Features of the course of acute gastritis
Acute gastritis always has a clear cause, which has led to inflammation of the stomach. Often proceeds with fever and vomiting. Abdominal pain is localized in the epigastric region, cutting nature. Nausea leads to vomiting of stomach contents, which brings relief. The stool may be normal or one-time liquid.
Tip! Such symptoms require emergency medical care! The ambulance doctor will do a gastric lavage and determine further treatment tactics. In some cases, hospitalization in the infectious disease ward is necessary.
Features of the disease in chronic form
The attack during exacerbation of chronic gastritis most often passes without an increase in body temperature. As a rule, exacerbations occur in autumn and spring, provoked by the use of coarse, spicy, smoked food or stress.
Pain occurs in an hour or two after eating. If the mucosa is atrophied, it can occur after half an hour or immediately after eating. With gastroduodenitis, when the stomach and duodenum is affected, pain can occur on an empty stomach and subside when eating.
During an attack of gastritis, pain may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, after which it becomes easier. On palpation of the abdomen in the epigastric region, pain is felt, which is aggravated by tapping with the tips of the fingers on the anterior abdominal wall in this region.
How to help with an attack?
Knowing what to do when an attack of gastritis, you can achieve normalization of the condition and prevent the development of complications. Erosive gastritis can lead to bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract, gastric or duodenal ulcer. On the signs of such a serious and very common complication of erosive gastritis, as a stomach ulcer, we described in a separate article – Peptic ulcer: causes, classification, symptoms.
- When exacerbating the disease, you can eat mucous porridge or mashed soups, drink alkaline mineral water without gas.
- You can take a tablet antispasmodic, antacid or antisecretory drug from the group of proton pump inhibitors.
- You can make an infusion of mint, chamomile, anise, calendula or hypericum. A good effect gives a decoction of flax seeds.
- In the future, it is necessary to consult a doctor to be examined, make an accurate diagnosis and undergo a full course of treatment.
Tip! For pain associated with diseases of the stomach, drugs from the group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are contraindicated! Such drugs themselves can cause mucosal damage and contribute to the development of bleeding from the gastrointestinal tract.