Here, like yesterday, you remember, noticed a delay in yourself, and decided, as if by chance, to do a pregnancy test. And suddenly, on a test, I found two strips. Hooray, I went to please my beloved.
For the first 9 months, you have been expecting a meeting with your little miracle with care and enthusiasm. Finally, the day of the meeting has come. Gone are these days, you are at home, your little creature is with you, you are in euphoria.
And here comes the moment when you remember about them, about the red days of the calendar. All this time it was good without them, but, as you know, menstruation is an indicator of women’s health. And, naturally, the thought arises: When do menstruations begin after childbirth and what are they, the first periods after childbirth?
This should be known to every woman who gave birth to a child. After all, knowing all the answers that relate to women’s health, you can avoid many problems in the future. In fact, a woman relives the entire process of becoming critical days after giving birth, so it is important to understand the whole nature of menstruation. We will help you to understand when the monthly after childbirth comes, what to expect from them, what to fear and what is the norm.
Female organism and conception
The menstrual cycle is the monthly preparation of the female body for a possible pregnancy. Every 21-35 days, the girl expects bleeding.
Every time on the 14th-16th day, ovulation occurs in her body, a ripe egg cell is released and is waiting for her only spermatozoon. If there is no meeting, the egg cell dies and goes out with blood during menstruation.
In the event that the long-awaited meeting occurred, tremendous changes occur in the body. Most importantly, the monthly does not come in due time. And for a long 9 months, the girl with them certainly will not see.
All this time, the ovaries are in the phase of calm and do not participate in the life of a woman to the extent that they usually live. During pregnancy, their job is the ability to maintain a pregnancy. Blame the hormones of the ladies. And he will start working in his usual mode only after the birth of a child.
Recovery of menstruation
The whole pregnancy the body worked on the preservation of pregnancy, so after the birth it needs time to return all changes to normal.
Usually, it all starts with the departure of the afterbirth and lasts about 8 weeks. All this way the body is restored and modified. Changes affect not only the female genital organs, but also affect all systems: starts from the heart, ending with the endocrine.
It is during this period that the mammary glands try a new role for themselves, because now the mother begins to feed her child with breast milk.
As for menstruation, then the involution, the so-called reverse formation of the cycle, each woman endures individually.
There are a number of features that can affect the involution:
- age of the woman in labor;
- during pregnancy;
- birth process;
- whether a woman feeds a baby with breast milk or not;
- What is the general condition of a young mother?
- much more.
However, on average, the duration of the contraction of the muscle tone of the uterus varies up to 8 weeks. More specifically, every day the bottom of the uterus approaches the bottom by a centimeter within 12 days. At the end of its path, the uterus takes on the appearance as before pregnancy. And if mommy also feeds, then she can become even less, and this is the norm.
Of course, there are cases when the involution lasts much longer than the average indicators:
- if a woman gives birth for the first time after 30 years
- in case of pathologies during childbirth
- when a woman gives birth repeatedly
- and when women do not adhere to their normal routine in the postpartum period.
Lochia after childbirth: what is it?
The moment of birth is not the end. Then the woman should try to give birth to the placenta (placenta). And after that, the process of childbirth can be considered complete.
But the inner surface of the uterus has a very unpresentable appearance and it needs some time to heal. Basically, complete healing ends on day 10. After 7 weeks, the mucous membrane is restored, after 8 weeks – the placental area.
And the whole process is characterized by the appearance of lochia. This is postpartum discharge.
Some women mistakenly believe that this is the monthly. In fact, lochia comes with an admixture of blood, which gradually becomes less.
In the last days of postpartum discharge, they become transparent. Slightly turbid and yellowish color is allowed. They appear copiously, but can and should change during the healing of the uterine surface.
Conditionally lochia can be described as follows:
- in the first days they are abundant and it is not known how many different excess particles that were needed in the process of pregnancy come out. Their contents come out with blood clots, and the smell may have a similar effect to fallen leaves.
- At the advent of 4 days, the lochia becomes pink-yellow.
- On the 10th day, the lochia becomes without impurities and begins to decrease in volume.
- Starting from week 3, their profusion decreases to scanty discharge.
- And somewhere on the 6th week, the lochia stops.
During such a period it is very important to adhere to hygiene and ensure that the health of the freshly baked mother is normal.
It is important to know what happens when lochia accumulates inside the body and then there is trouble. No, it is impossible to self-medicate here, and you need to undergo treatment by a specialist.
It happens that prescribe additional washing of the uterus. The main thing is not to run. In principle, after giving birth, every woman will be told by her doctor, but as the saying goes: “who is warned is armed”.
When does menstruation begin after childbirth?
Here we come to the main point: when do menstruation begin after childbirth? No one will be able to name a specific time when menstruation will go after birth.
Most often, the first menstrual periods after delivery begin after the mother stops breastfeeding. This is due to the fact that during breastfeeding the hormone prolactin is produced in the pituitary gland. This hormone controls the production of breast milk and inhibits the functioning of the ovaries.
The first periods after childbirth, each girl begins individually.
The following factors may influence:
- Does a woman breastfeed? If the answer is yes, then how long this process will continue, how many will not be monthly. It happens that when you start feeding, menstruation begins. This is somewhere in 6 months. If the mother begins to feed the baby during the first months, then it happens that this can provoke critical days. In cases where the child is an artificiality, the period may begin after 6 weeks.
- The mode of the day and the food of the young mother.
- The first periods after childbirth will help to approximate or postpone the hormonal balance of a woman.
- After a short period of time, menstrual periods can go on if the woman’s condition is on a hair from nervous exhaustion. However, this may delay the day of menstruation.
- Also affects what complications were during pregnancy.
- What was the birth. By the way, it does not matter how the child was born: by caesarean section or natural. This does not affect the monthly recovery process. In both cases, the recovery process will be the same.
The first menstruation after childbirth is called anovulatory. That is, the follicle matures, but the egg does not break, nor does it come out. Next month everything is restored. But even on such days pregnancy is possible, so be careful.
It is said that during breastfeeding, the chance of getting pregnant is reduced to zero. But far from it. If the time of your feeding break is less than 3-4 hours, then there is such a possibility.
But if the break is longer, then there is nothing to say about feeding as a method of contraception. The modern world offers many such methods of protection, only you need to consult with a gynecologist that you can now use.
The dangers of the first menses
After childbirth, the recovery period of the menstrual cycle and its regularity can be 4–6 months. The cycle time may also change.
Often, after childbirth, periods are less painful. This is because the pain was caused by the bend of the uterus posteriorly. After childbirth, it acquires a normal position.
But if the menstrual period is painful, it can be caused by postpartum inflammatory processes or strong uterine muscle contractions.
When a woman during menstruation is forced to take painkillers and antispasmodic drugs, she may have algomenorrhea. In this case consultation of the gynecologist is required.
The first periods after childbirth have dangerous complications, so it is important to monitor their own well-being and seek help on time.
What should alert the woman:
- The recovery cycle process varies up to 6 months. If after this time there is no stability, then it is worth to be examined by a doctor.
- The length of critical days may vary slightly from those that were before pregnancy. It happens, the main thing is to be systematic.
- The volume should be normal, although in the first months some deviations are possible, but within the limits of what is permitted. Situations where the gasket changes every 30 minutes. or an hour can speak of open bleeding. And this is bad, you need to urgently call an ambulance.
- At the beginning of the cycle and at the end there should be no daubs, because this may indicate a disease.
- Algomenorrhea – painful periods, forcing to take painkillers repeatedly. This is a pathology.
- Exacerbations of chronic diseases in the gynecological part are quite possible. It is necessary to monitor the secretions, their smell, and so on.
- The situation when there is no menstruation at all should also make a woman turn to a gynecologist. But this is on condition that the child has been on the IG for a long time and has not been eating mother’s milk for a long time.
As a result, I want to emphasize that the process of restoring menstruation after childbirth is a guarantee of a woman’s health in the future. Therefore, if a woman after a certain time finds deviations from the norm, it is necessary to go for a consultation with your doctor.