Different in nature pains in the mammary glands of men have their own causes, some of them are quite serious. In order to eliminate the discomfort, it is necessary to undergo a comprehensive examination, on its basis the doctor will prescribe a course of treatment.
The breast glands of men and women have almost the same structure. During puberty, the female breast due to the influence of hormones begins to grow, while the male remains in its infancy.
The causes of painful sensations in the chest are numerous; they are:
- Gynecomastia is an increase in breast glands in size; it can be false and true. The true one is explained by the predominance of female hormones over male hormones. False is due to the general obesity of a man.
- Atheroma is a cyst that forms from the sebaceous gland.
- Fibroma develops from connective tissue, a pain arching nature.
- Breast adenosis is formed from glandular tissue. A tumor with clear boundaries can be either inside the breast or in the nipple.
- Fibroadenoma – education. Having signs of adenoma and fibroma.
- Mastopathy – the appearance of single or multiple cysts in the tissues of the organ.
- Mastitis is an inflammation of the breast. More often, pathology is detected on the one hand, in addition to pain, symptoms of intoxication may be present, fever, and swelling and hyperemia are visually observed.
- Mondor’s disease – the emergence of cords, going from the gland to the armpit. Occurs in most cases after injury.
- Diabetes. This pathology causes vascular changes, which can also be manifested by pains in the mammary gland.
- Fat necrosis. Pathology develops in violation of blood circulation, pain is especially evident on palpation.
- Breast cancer in men pain manifests itself in the later stages. Paget’s disease is a cancer that encompasses the areola and the nipple itself, in addition to the pain, there are also bleeding and purulent discharge.
Pain and seal areas often occur in adolescents. Typically, palpation in the chest in young men can be felt dense single or multiple balls, located asymmetrically and mostly near the nipples.
The mammary glands in boys swell, there is pain – this condition is called physiological gynecomastia.
If there are no other signs of a change in well-being and the symptom passes on its own within 20 years, you should not worry. In severe cases, adolescent gynecomastia requires medical or surgical treatment (read more about this in this article). Consultation of the urologist should be included in the clinical examination in order to exclude non-physiological causes, such as Reifenstein syndrome, in which there is a defect in the synthesis of testosterone in the body. This disease may be accompanied by genital atrophy or hermaphroditism.
For more information, see the video consultation of the breast doctor:
Types of pain
Pain and discomfort in the breasts can be different in intensity, periodic, constant or detectable only on palpation.
Pain can occur at any age, often painful sensations in the mammary glands occur with diseases of internal organs and with endocrine disorders. Assessment in the totality of all the manifestations in changing the patient’s well-being helps the doctor to establish a preliminary diagnosis.
The pain can be:
- One-sided (left or right side). In this case, you should exclude trauma, the development of atheroma, fibroma, cancer process.
- Bilateral. Pain on both sides and a simultaneous increase or thickening is characteristic of gynecomastia.
- In the nipples, in the halo, inside the nipples. This change also occurs when gynecomastia, hormonal disturbed background. With the appearance of nipple discharge, it is necessary to exclude tumors.
Discomfort is recorded both permanently and when pressed or after exercise.
At occurrence of painful sensations it is necessary to be examined as soon as possible. Endocrinologists, mammologists, surgeons are engaged in the treatment of diseases.
Most of the changes in the mammary glands are benign, but if they are not eliminated in time, then a malignant process may develop.
Pathologies such as atheroma, fibroma are often removed in one visit to the surgeon, and after that, after a few days, all changes disappear.
To clarify the preliminary diagnosis, doctors prescribe:
- Ultrasound examination.
- Biopsy – tissue sampling from tumors to identify atypical cells.
- Biochemical analysis of blood with the assessment of hormone levels.
Treatment depends on the cause of pain in the chest. And it is always better to carry it out at its early stages, as in advanced cases it is often not possible to achieve the return of the usual size, shape and health to the mammary gland.