The menstrual cycle of each woman is individual. The average duration of monthly is from 3 to 7 days. But when bleeding is stretched for 9 days or more, it is a signal of changes in the body. Representatives of the weaker sex should know when such changes develop into pathology.
Monthly durations of 9 days are not considered normal.
Duration of menstrual bleeding
The period of bleeding from each woman is different. It depends on various factors:
- Genetic predisposition. If the grandmother and mother have a monthly duration of 8 to 10 days, then the daughter will inherit the same cycle. This situation is not treatable. In such women, prolonged menstruation is a variant of the norm.
- The individual structure of the body. It takes into account the length of the cervix, the structure of the reproductive system, blood clotting and so on. These criteria define the period of critical days.
- Disrupted diet and rest. A balanced diet and rest is needed by every organism. During a diet or high load at work, do not forget to follow these simple rules. So you can avoid additional health problems.
- Frequent exercise. Sports activities have a positive effect on health, but do not overload the body. Such a shake-up will have a bad effect on women’s health.
- Neurosis and stress. The increase in the duration of bleeding is the result of constant mental experiences.
If a woman suddenly increases the quantity, quality and duration of critical days, then this is a good reason to visit a gynecologist.. The doctor will determine the causes of pathological changes and prescribe adequate treatment.
Increasing the duration of critical days – a reason to contact a gynecologist
Long menstruation as a variant of the norm
The girl’s first menstruation marks the beginning of a serious change in her body. The next 2-3 years the cycle will gradually return to normal. During this period, the duration and intensity of bleeding changes. But gradually the body itself will come back to normal.
Sometimes a woman is confronted with the concept of an irregular cycle, when her periods go differently each time. In such cases, the causes of the changes are known, and the lady knows how to react. If the cycle is regular, and bleeding is concerned for more than 9 days, then consult a gynecologist.
Abundant prolonged periods develop into bleeding. If you do not establish the causes and do not stop this process, the consequences for the woman’s health will become irreversible.
Doctors identify conditions in which prolonged menstruation is referred to the norm:
- Genetic predisposition. Many women live with menstruation that go 9 or more days. They lead a normal life, and this does not affect their livelihoods.
- The period after the abortion. Conducting this procedure involves prolonged bleeding. This doctor warns the patient. He will tell you when you need to worry if your period is prolonged.
- Acceptance of hormonal contraceptives. This includes oral contraceptives, IUDs and other means. About possible prolonged bleeding is indicated in the instructions of the drug.
- Menopause. If a woman has a pathological climax, then such conditions do not go beyond the normal range.
- Bleeding after childbirth. This is a natural cleansing of the uterus from the remnants of the placenta and other membranes. When everything is complete, the bleeding gradually fades away and disappears.
In other cases, long periods will be the reason for going to a gynecologist.
Bleeding after childbirth is normal
Causes of long periods
If menstruation takes longer than the prescribed time and the woman caught it by surprise, then she should establish the reason for the change. Often such phenomena are a sign of more serious pathologies.
Doctors identify several factors that can provoke prolonged periods:
- Problems with the hormonal system.
- Bad blood clotting.
- Weak walls of blood vessels.
- The need to clean the uterus.
These factors provoke various pathologies. Prolonged periods indicate the presence and progression of the disease. Conditions that cause prolonged pathological vaginal bleeding:
- Chronic anemia. This disease indicates the presence of other pathologies. Monthly does not stop in such cases for more than 9 days. This natural process requires additional research to find out and get rid of the cause of the bleeding.
- Violation of the thyroid gland. This organ regulates the production of hormones that affect the activity of the reproductive system. If there are too many or too few hormones, the menstrual cycle is disturbed, and the bleeding is more intense or weaker. The endocrinologist will tell you what tests and studies you need to do to get rid of the problem.
The functioning of the endocrine system is often disturbed in those women who consume a lot of caffeine, alcohol or smoke. Irrational nutrition is also included in the set of reasons that are bad for the thyroid gland.
- Various diseases of the genital organs. Inflammatory processes in the uterus and its appendages provoke long-term bleeding. In adenomyosis, the muscular layer of the uterus is inflamed due to the growth of the endometrium in it. This pathology affects the nature of menstruation, which go more than 9 days.
Polyps of the inner layer of the uterus do not allow menstrual bleeding to end on time. This hormone-dependent disease is detected by the doctor during the examination. If you get rid of polyps, long periods will also stop.
Benign lesions in the uterus also affect the duration of critical days. Myomas grow slowly, but the main sign of the presence of this pathology is painful and prolonged periods. To get rid of such a tumor will only help the doctor to whom you need to turn at the first signs of the disease.
Some women have monthly periods of more than 9 days over a long period. This should not be taken lightly. After all, cancer of the uterus begins with such symptoms.
Violation of the ovaries, cysts and other structures lengthen the period of menstrual bleeding. The causes of such conditions may also lie in the development of inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs. Sexually transmitted diseases are also accompanied by a failure of the menstrual cycle. If in time to seek qualified help, the doctor will help to remove unpleasant symptoms and causes of the disease.
- Weight. The shortage or excess of kilograms directly affects the quality and quantity of monthly bleeding. Adipose tissue helps synthesize the sex hormone estrogen in a woman’s body. He is responsible for the regulation of the menstrual cycle. If the patient is suffering from excess weight, then the monthly go longer than the prescribed period. A decrease in body weight of at least 12–15% will relieve the problem.
Among the many physiological factors that affect the duration of menstruation, separate psychological causes separate. If a woman is in a state of nervous tension for a long time, often experiences negative emotions or lives in constant fear, this is bad for her health. In such cases, the general condition worsens and the reproductive system is impaired.
Overweight, as well as its lack, adversely affects the monthly cycle
Normalization of the menstrual cycle
The key to excellent health of the woman and the duration of menstruation is a good blood supply to the organs in the pelvis. If everything in the body works smoothly and without failures, then the state of health and mood is always good.
If the doctor did not find any obvious reasons for the long periods, the patient is advised to bring the cycle back to normal in a natural way. This includes recommendations for the correct mode of the day. In the daily cycle of the fair sex do not need to forget about proper nutrition. In the diet include more vegetables and fruits, dairy products.
Patients are also advised to spend more time in the fresh air, to give the body light exercise. Sports and walks prevent stagnant processes in the pelvis.
Try to avoid stress and depression. If all the problems have piled up all together, develop a technique for overcoming the nervous tension for yourself. There is always a way out of any situation, and feeding the body with negative emotions will only aggravate the problem.
If abundant long periods go for no apparent reason, alternative medicine will help stop them. People have long used nettle infusion. To prepare it, take a spoonful of raw materials and pour a glass of boiling water. During the day, you can drink about half a liter of infusion.
Traditional medicine uses drugs to stop bleeding, which increase the ability of blood to clot. If long periods are a symptom of another disease, the doctor first eliminates the pathology, after which the bleeding should stop.
The length of critical days depends on many factors. Sometimes the causes of this pathology indicate the existence of more serious health problems. A woman does not need to neglect the advice of a specialist, if the monthly go for a long time. Early diagnosis of the disease simplifies the treatment and recovery of the body.