The stable menstrual cycle is the main indicator of a woman’s physical and mental health. Even deviations that are not related to reproductive function can be reflected in the course of the cycle. The situation when there is a sudden reduction of the monthly, they used to go for six days, and then began to go three, causes concern and anxiety.
The regularity of the cycle depends on the woman’s health.
What is the normal menstrual cycle
The establishment of regular menstruation occurs within almost a year after the first bleeding. The concept of normal cycle has a wide framework and its own characteristics for each woman. The full cycle of development, maturation and release of the egg lasts 21–35 days, after which, in the absence of fertilization, the process of rejection of the endometrial mucosa begins and bleeding occurs. This period also has a considerable variation, 3–7 days. Systematic menstruation is established at puberty and changes only during pregnancy or pathological abnormalities. At different stages of the cycle, different hormones prevail, their balance in the body is supported by the female endocrine system. Thus, failure in the monthly cycle can be a consequence of minor deviations in lifestyle, and evidence of serious violations.
Normal cycle duration is very individual.
Causes of change, not due to pathological processes
The shortening of menstruation is always accompanied by a decrease in blood loss, and this is far from a favorable fact. Often a woman feels nagging pains, nausea, fatigue, and frequent nosebleeds. A situation where menstruation went from three to six days from the very beginning, then there is a sharp reduction, can be caused by a variety of reasons not related to the pathology of the female genital:
- The postpartum period, bringing the hormonal system to its former state requires some time and usually stretches over several months.
- Artificial termination of pregnancy is a huge shock for the female reproductive system. Any invasion of the sexual sphere (abortion, surgery) violates the hormonal balance. When answering the question of why menstruation goes much less, three days instead of the previous six, it is important to pay attention to the nature of the discharge and overall well-being. Dark-colored clots with an unpleasant smell, fever and weakness indicate a poorly performed operation that caused the inflammatory process.
- Acceptance of hormonal contraceptive drugs that do not match the natural cycle of women. In general, long-term use of contraceptives can churn the rhythm of menstruation.
- Oddly enough, but nutrition and excess weight can also affect the duration of “critical days”, which in obesity can go as 1-2 days in the form of a heavy discharge, and may be marked by hypermenorrhea. Hard diets and dramatic weight loss adversely affect the course of the cycle, menstruation, which went, the prescribed amount of time, is gradually reduced and can stop altogether.
- Sedentary lifestyle, lack of blood circulation in the genitals, respectively, lack of oxygen and nutrients, lead to a reduction in menstruation.
- Stress or prolonged nervous strain affects the regulation of menstrual function.
- Another factor affecting the duration of the cycle is thyroid dysfunction. Communication seems to be absent, but women suffering from reduced production of thyroid hormones, there is a shortening of the cycle and the duration of menstruation.
The situations described, with timely treatment for medical care, do not have irreversible consequences. Adjustment and medical control are needed to ensure that the monthly return to normal, and the balance of hormones to find balance.
Hormonal contraceptives have the ability to change the monthly cycle
When to worry
Causes due to pathological changes and processes in the genital area of women:
- A sudden reduction in menses, which lasted at least three days, is cause for concern. In this way, inflammatory diseases of the urogenital area can manifest. In case of an infectious nature, other signs may appear: nagging pains in the lower abdomen; burning, severe itching of the genitals; unusual for the selection rate; temperature may rise. Chronic sluggish inflammation of the adnexal organs leads to the occurrence of adhesions, both in the abdominal cavity and in the lumen of the tubes. This can lead to the fact that the menstrual cycle is reduced, and the periods themselves go less than three days.
- Benign neoplasms. More often, shortening the cycle and shortening the number of menstruation days is caused by the appearance of an ovarian cyst. Follicular cysts are formations found in women of reproductive age, they rarely have pronounced symptoms and never degenerate. Endometriosis and fibromyomas, which are also frequently detected, lead to the fact that menstruation is often and abundantly accompanied by the release of dark-colored clots. Along the way, there is a decrease in blood pressure and anemia of the first degree.
- Hormonal imbalance and reduction of “critical days” is not a deviation from the norm during the period of menstruation and when menopause approaches. In adolescence, there may be some inconsistencies of the regime, menstruation, which last three days in the previous month, in the present may pass only two, and later – five. Such swing is quite natural for puberty.
The climacteric period is characterized by a gradual extinction of the reproductive function, a decrease in the production of hormones. Monthly go less often, often limited to strokes. Such physiological changes occur after about 45–50 years and should not be intimidating, since they are regularities.
Follicular cysts have the ability to change the monthly cycle. On the left in the picture is a normal ovary, on the right – with a follicular cyst
How to behave further
If earlier the menstruation was normal and lasted 5–6 days, and then suddenly decreased to 2–3 days, it is imperative that you seek medical advice. It is important to establish in time the cause of the abnormalities and prescribe the correct treatment. To do this, the patient is surveyed, a comprehensive gynecological examination, methods of instrumental examination.
Treatment is prescribed depending on the detected cause:
- When hormonal imbalance is carried out the selection of the appropriate hormone therapy, vitamin therapy.
- When detecting benign tumors, conservative treatment is performed, and if there is no effect, surgical treatment is performed. According to the indications, laparoscopy or abdominal surgery is used.
- Infectious diseases are treated under the supervision of a gynecologist using drugs of general and local action.
- With endocrine abnormalities, treatment is carried out by an endocrinologist; replacement therapy and control of the thyroid gland are prescribed. An important role is played by the normalization of nutrition, the intake of a balanced amount of vitamins and trace elements.
- Auxiliary methods are physiotherapy, acupuncture, water aerobics, massage, gymnastics.
An episodic reduction in the number of menstrual days to three, in the absence of other unpleasant symptoms, is not a pathology and may be a consequence of a poor lifestyle.
If the shortening of the menstrual period occurs gradually up to 1–2 days, this reason will seek medical advice. A sharp decrease in the menstrual days to two should cause anxiety and an immediate visit to the hospital.