A sore throat is one of the most common symptoms of a simple respiratory viral disease. And quite often the sore throat is not accompanied by fever. But, unfortunately, not everyone knows how to help themselves at the very beginning, in order to avoid temperature rises in the future.
Causes of sore throat
Sore throat and pain to swallow – the main reasons
In fact, there are a number of diseases during which the throat can hurt, but there is no increase in temperature.
Most often this happens either with a simple cold or with ARVI, when the body independently fights against infections and viruses that have fallen into it, which he succeeds quite well.
There are several reasons why a sore throat can hurt:
- Viral infections. When viruses enter the body, the body temperature does not often increase, so in most cases it is possible to do with simple antiviral drugs. In this case, the throat does not hurt much, but it hurts to swallow, as if a knife had been inserted. Each person has a different pain threshold, so some say that the pain is not strong and tolerable, while others ask to prescribe strong antibiotics so that the next day there will be an effect and the pain will pass.
- Irritation of the mucous throat. This happens most often during an allergic reaction, which can cause swelling of the mucous membrane, and as a consequence such symptoms.
- Laryngitis, during which the person can either partially or completely disappear voice. At the same time, at the very beginning of the development of the disease, the patients noted that they felt the cutting pain, and then the voice abruptly disappeared.
- Overstrain of the laryngeal muscles. Sometimes such an overstrain is fraught with not only a breakdown of the voice, but also the development of a sore throat, which is caused by an increased tone.
Depending on what caused the sore throat, the treatment will depend. That is why you should not engage in self-medication and purchase expensive medications to alleviate the condition.
It is best to turn to a specialist who will select the correct drug and make an accurate diagnosis.
Almost everyone knows what needs to be done in the first hours after a sore throat. Especially if he is sure that this is a cold or a viral infection.
If the reason is actually in this, then it is necessary:
- Gargle. To do this, you can take a decoction of chamomile or soda solution. Soda solution is easy to prepare. You need to take one teaspoon of salt, one teaspoon of soda, pour hot water in a glass, and then add a couple of drops of iodine there. Rinsing is best done at least three times a day so that the effect is as positive as possible.
- Spray in the throat with sprays such as Hexoral or Tantum Verde.
- To get lozenges like Lisobact or Strepsils. They not only soften the sore throat, but also have a disinfecting effect.
In principle, over the next two days, the sore throat must either go away or be less. But if this does not happen and the pain becomes only stronger, then it is best to turn to a specialist for advice.
Cold and sore throat
Sore throat with a cold
If a person has been in the cold for a long time or was not dressed according to the weather, then the probability of his illness increases. And, as a rule, in autumn and spring, the number of patients with a banal cold sharply increases.
The cold begins gradually. At one point, a person feels that his nose is pawing and that he is pulling his throat strangely. After some time, the malaise increases and a sore throat and complete nasal congestion are added to it.
Particular attention should be paid to the elimination of symptoms, namely in the case of a cold, since it is not caused by the penetration of microorganisms inside, namely, hypothermia.
Therefore, with the right approach, after three days, the person returns to normal.
In adulthood, viral infections, though penetrate into the body, but much less frequently than in children. During kindergarten visits, most parents note that children get sick very often, and the throat is most troubling.
When the virus enters the body, it is faced with a barrier in the form of the nasal cavity and throat. And if the virus was able to overcome the barrier in the nose, then the probability that it will settle in the throat increases.
A viral infection, in addition to a sore throat, is also accompanied by such obvious symptoms as:
- General malaise, which is manifested by the desire of a person to lie down, sleep.
- The whole body hurts, sometimes patients say that literally all muscles ache, it is impossible to move normally.
- Fast fatiguability.
In the first hours and days it is these symptoms that will be the most important, and if we speak specifically of a sore throat, then it develops gradually.
More information about throat diseases can be found in the video:
When a sore throat, especially when there is an exact statement that this is a virus, is necessary:
- Drink as much water as possible to remove all toxins from the body.
- Gargle as often as possible.
- Splash drugs in the throat.
In the event that, after three days of treatment, the condition has not improved, but has only worsened (temperature has appeared), it is necessary to immediately consult a doctor for advice.
Sore throat with laryngitis
With laryngitis at the very beginning of the development of the disease, patients note that they felt a kind of numbness, compression of the throat.
This was due to the strongest edema. In addition, some noted that at first there was severe pain, because of which it was difficult to speak, and then, after a few hours, the voice either disappeared altogether, or became hoarse and barely audible.
One of the features of laryngitis, especially in adults, is that the body temperature does not rise, despite the fact that the larynx is almost inflamed.
This is due to the fact that viruses are deposited in the throat itself, without penetrating further.
But if a cold or some kind of bacterial infection is added to the laryngitis, then there will be no escape from the jump.
In the event that a diagnosis of laryngitis was made, it is necessary:
- Drink as much warm and hot water as possible (tea) in order to relax the ligaments once more, and also promote the discharge of mucus.
- It is advisable to refrain from talking for at least a couple of days. Most people think that it is possible to speak in a whisper, in fact it tires the ligaments even more.
- Use antibacterial and antiviral drugs.
- Take antibiotics, but only if the swelling is much lower.
- Some doctors recommend making warming compresses during laryngitis to help the mucus accumulated on the ligaments to move away faster.
Irritation of the mucous throat
Sometimes the throat can hurt not only because a virus or some kind of infection has got into the body. Often this is simply irritation of the mucous membrane due to the action of allergens.
Those who first encounter such a manifestation may first think of a cold. And in fact, allergies are easily confused with it, since the symptoms of manifestation may be similar, but the treatment is fundamentally different.
Thus, the body can respond to the following:
- Tobacco smoke. In reality, only smokers and their bodies normally perceive tobacco smoke.
- Polluted or dry air. Residents of large industrial cities often complain of sore throat and sore throat, which is caused by the constant presence of chemical particles in the air. If we talk about dry air, then often at the very beginning of the heating season, many people suffer from pain in the throat due to the elementary drying of the mucous membrane.
- Products. Sometimes, an allergy to some products may not be manifested by itching and rashes on the skin, but by the appearance of pain and sore throat. There are cases when such a reaction in humans was on a blackberry and melon.
- Flowers and plant pollen. During the flowering period (spring-early summer), allergy sufferers begin a period of exacerbation, during which they have not only their nose but their sore throat.
As a rule, if the cause is precisely the effect of the allergen, then in addition to the sore throat there will also be tearfulness, severe itching, and a runny nose.
In order to alleviate the condition it is necessary:
- Urgently eliminate the allergen. To do this, you must either go to another place, or stop eating the product.
- Rinse the nasal cavity and rinse the throat with saline solution, which will remove the irritant particles.
- Moisten the air. The optimum humidity in this case is 60 percent.
Not all people can distinguish a simple irritation of the mucous membrane from the disease, and therefore they start splashing sprays in the throat, dripping vasoconstrictive drops into the nose. But all this does not help.
When to see a doctor
Medical assistance for sore throat
Despite the fact that many people believe that if you have a sore throat, but the body temperature is normal, you should not go to a doctor. This is one of the most profound misconceptions, because of which a person suffers even more.
There are situations when an appeal to a specialist should occur immediately, namely:
- If the sore throat does not go away within two days of intensive treatment at home.
- If the pain, in spite of the treatment, becomes only stronger.
- If the pain is severe and it is difficult to swallow or open your mouth.
- If the sore throat is accompanied by a rash of unknown origin on the body, which does not go away even after taking antihistamines.
- If your throat hurts constantly. This may indicate the presence of chronic diseases, the treatment of which must be given special attention.
In all the above cases, it is necessary to visit a doctor as soon as possible so that he will establish the true cause of the illness and prescribe treatment.
One of the most popular queries in search engines is a sore throat, it hurts to swallow, there is no temperature. Not everyone knows what to do in this case. But in fact, it is better not to self-medicate and visit a doctor who will examine the throat and write out the necessary medications.
Noticed a mistake? Select it and click Ctrl + Enter, to let us know.