Menstruation is a normal process that every woman faces once a month. Each organism is individual, so the periods go differently for each of us. Under the designation “differently” I mean: the duration of the discharge, their intensity, whether the woman feels the pain, and also how much blood is released during this period.
What determines the volume of blood released?
The volume of blood depends, first of all, on the personal characteristics of the natural development of the female body and related heredity.
But often women notice that menstrual blood becomes more than ever. And then the first question: Plentiful monthly – what to do?.
You will find answers to this question in our article.
For a start, we will figure out how to independently identify normal or abundant discharge.
- how long menstruation lasts – should not be more than 7 days, otherwise it is urgently necessary to visit a doctor;
- profusion – the most blood in the first 3 days, then the discharge is less;
- blood volume – a maximum during the day 150 milliliters with heavy discharge, the average value – 50 milliliters;
According to these criteria, a woman can independently determine her period that is very abundant in her periods, or this is the norm.
The reasons for too heavy periods can be very different. This may indicate gynecological problems, as well as other pathologies. In such a situation, an urgent need to visit a qualified doctor to find out the true causes and begin appropriate treatment.
Signs of heavy monthly
Also in medicine one can hear “hyperpolymenorrhea” or “menorrhagia” – these are copious periods.
Signs that characterize strong periods include:
- periods last 7 days or more;
- vaginal secretions are too strong and contain blood clots;
- a woman loses 150 or more blood per day, this happens only with bleeding;
- frequent change of hygiene products during menstruation – every 1.5 hours, or even less, and even at night;
- cycle time less than 21 days;
- blood is released from the vagina even in the middle of the cycle;
- pain during menstruation is very strong, intolerable;
- very abundant periods during all days of menstruation, and not just the first 3 days;
- vaginal discharge of blood appears a year after the onset of menopause.
Why are abundant discharge: the reasons
All causes of very heavy menstruation are divided into 2 large subgroups:
- causes associated with hormonal imbalance, an excess of estrogen causes the growth of endometrial tissue;
- causes of non-hormonal nature, including pathological and extragenital diseases.
The most common reasons are:
- polyps, hyperplasia of endometriotic tissue;
- uncontrolled contraceptive use;
- excessive abuse of emergency contraceptive drugs;
- uterine fibroids;
- inflammation in the uterus or appendages;
- imbalance of hormones during puberty or during the transition to menopause;
- intrauterine device;
- blood disorders;
- abortion, spontaneous abortion (miscarriage);
- antiplatelet medication;
- not enough vitamins and minerals, so there are problems of blood clotting;
- labor activity with complications;
- ectopic pregnancy;
- stress, overwork, stress;
- thyroid disease;
- abnormalities of the liver, urinary canal and cardiovascular system;
- excessive exercise;
- unhealthy diet, exhausting diet.
Therefore, it is very important to visit the doctor!
What to do if heavy monthly?
If, again, during the period of menstruation, there is a very heavy discharge, this may indicate a bleeding, which simply coincided with another menstruation, and therefore they are cyclical.
In order for each woman to distinguish very abundant periods from uterine bleeding, it is necessary to remember about the normal signs of menstruation, its duration, intensity and volume of blood secreted. And also, in general, to have information about what to do if the monthly have become very abundant.
Ample menstruation lasts no more than a week, and then their intensity dies away, so about three more days of discharge are smeared.
Bleeding, which become cyclical and even with the naked eye, it is clear that the blood loss is large – such discharge is dangerous.
When bleeding a woman may feel the first signs of anemia: nausea, vomiting, dizziness and general malaise.
Abundant secretions can cause:
- metroendometritis, symptoms such as pain, deterioration of health, fever may occur;
- myoma and adenomyosis, the uterine muscles are disturbed, and the surface of the endometrium increases, which is rejected;
- education on the ovaries, which are hormonal in nature;
- non-gynecological problems related to the endocrine system, the liver and the heart.
How to stop the abundant discharge?
Many women ask: How to stop profusion without harm to the body?. In this case, the first thing to do is to visit a doctor, undergo laboratory tests and start treatment.
And you can help yourself by adhering to the following rules:
- physical loads and any other heavy loads should be reduced, if not abandoned;
- stop drinking coffee and alcoholic beverages;
- If a woman takes drugs that thin the blood or dilate the blood vessels, consult a doctor;
- will help strengthen blood vessels and restore blood circulation vitamin B12, iron, folic acid and vitamin C;
- if a woman has a stomachache, you can attach a cold heating pad to it, but not more than for 20 minutes;
- decoction of horsetail and shepherd’s purse also helps to make bleeding less abundant;
- need to monitor the psycho-emotional state, as stress, depression and others also have an impact on the allocation.
Drug treatment, what to take?
Of course, simply treatment with drugs will not help, it is also necessary to prevent a relapse, and for this you need to influence the cause, which became the catalyst.
Before you take any medications, you should consult with your doctor so as not to harm your body.
If too plentiful monthly went for the first time, then you can stop them with the help of drugs that are included in the symptomatic group:
- Methioergometrine, Oxytocin;
- Vikasol, calcium supplements, Ditsinon, aminocapric acid;
- Totem, vitamin B12, folic acid, Ferropleks;
- Ketorol, No-shpa, Papaverin.
When the danger is eliminated, you need to find out the reasons. At the doctor’s office, for the beginning, there is a conversation, the specialist should know when the menstrual periods began, how long they are going, what character they have, etc. Then an examination is carried out, it allows you to see the changes in the genitals and reveal the painful sensations. Then, if necessary, you need to pass laboratory tests.
It is also important to prevent such situations. To do this, you just need to visit the gynecologist every six months and monitor the course of your periods, note their intensity is normal or stronger, as well as their duration.
Dear women take care of your female health – you really need it.