Your health is in your hands
Summer. Relaxation. Beach. So it is time for active rest with swimming and diving in the reservoirs. Who does not like to swim during the heat?
But it is precisely this time that causes so much trouble. There are no fewer visits to an ENT doctor at this time of the year than in winter. What is the reason? The reason is banal – water got into the ear. What to do?
It is not always possible to remove it and seek help from a specialist immediately. But if the water is in the ear for a long time, the development of inflammation up to otitis is possible. Therefore, everyone needs to know the answer to the question: what to do when water got into the ear?
Look at the picture ear structures. The ear consists of several important divisions:
- Outdoor – consists of the auricle, as well as the ear canal,
- The average – located behind the eardrum (in a healthy person, water usually does not enter here),
- Internal – the most important department responsible for hearing and balance
What kind of help should be provided primarily depends on which part of the ear is water.
What to do if water gets into your ear?
If water lingers in the outer ear
A person feels that water is flowing inside the ear.
- It is necessary to turn the head to the shoulder from which no water flows out of the ear, and it is better to jump on one leg. At the same time pull the earlobe down, straightening the auditory canal.
- A method similar to creating an artificial pump: tightly close the entire ear with the palm of your hand (as if creating a vacuum) and sharply remove the palm.
- The divers method is to blow the air out of the lungs through the ears, holding your nose with your hand.
- If pain occurs, put your head with a sore ear on a warm bag of sand or salt, or a heating pad. Warmed water from the ear will flow out sooner.
- It is necessary to lie on its side on the side where the ear is laid – so that it is located below. Now you need to make swallowing and chewing movements and try to move your ears :).
- Insert a cotton turulet or flagellum into the ear canal so that water is completely absorbed into the cotton wool.
- Attention! No need to use cotton buds. Read more about this in the article Ear Hygiene.
7. If the water was dirty, you need to drop alcohol-containing drops or hydrogen peroxide in your ear. This will prevent the occurrence of infection.
Usually this help is enough. After all, in a healthy person, water is deeper than the outer ear – the eardrum does not. If, however, water does not flow in any way, then you need to turn to the ENT.
Usually water is retained in the ear of those people who are disposed to form sulfuric plugs. Sulfuric clots swell with the action of water and a plug forms as a result. She clogs the ear canal. What to do if there is still a cork of sulfur in the ear, read the article “Sulfuric cork. Symptoms and removal.
If the ear canal is narrow and tortuous in its anatomical structure, this also contributes to water retention, which allows fungi to multiply. This causes itching and pain inside the ear.
If water lingers in the middle ear.
Have you ever had otitis? Perhaps you have a perforation in the eardrum or a hole that is able to pass water into the middle ear and cause dizziness, as well as a headache. If the water was dirty, there is a fear of an infectious disease.
How else does water get to the middle ear? Through the nose, if a person inadvertently inhaled the water with his nose when swimming or diving. Between the ear and nose is the Eustachian tube. This is a relatively long channel, which is necessary in order to constantly keep in balance, external atmospheric pressure pressing on the eardrum. If the water in the middle ear got exactly through this narrow channel, then the problem becomes more serious.
If it so happens that you cannot quickly contact a doctor for help, then you need:
- Bury any anti-inflammatory drops or insert a turunda into the ear moistened with warm boric alcohol. How to drip drops in the ear, read the article “Pain in the ear. What to do?
- Put a compress for the night on the laid ear
- If you have pain, drink painkiller.
- Ask an expert for urgent help.
Prevention prevent water from getting into your ears while swimming
- Wear a special rubber cap that fits snugly to your ears.
- If you do not produce enough sulfur in your ears, then you can lubricate the entrance to the ear canal with Vaseline
- Adults can use special ear plugs while bathing.
Once again I want to repeat: if you did not manage to free yourself the ear from the water that fell into it, then do not delay the consultation of the ENT doctor. Otherwise, otitis media will have to be treated long and painfully.
More interesting and useful can be found on the site. MEDIMARI in articles: