Hip pain is a common complaint with which patients come to see a traumatologist or another doctor. Hip pain suddenly appears and also quickly passes? With 99% confidence we can say that there is nothing to worry about. If you save the pain for a long time – more than 2-3 days, you should be wary. This situation can talk about serious problems and pathologies.
What makes hip sore
Unpleasant symptoms in the hip area can often be confused with inguinal or pelvic pain. If the pain really arose in the thigh, then it could have been provoked by a variety of causes: problems with muscle tissue, bones, serious infections, and even malignant neoplasms.
Diseases and pathologies that provoke pain
Arthrosis A serious illness that causes sharp or nagging pain in the upper part of one or both legs. Against the background of a strong deterioration of the hip joints (TBS), whose condition worsens over the years, they no longer fully cope with the shock-absorbing function. What is the result? Strong blows of bones against each other, and a pronounced pain syndrome in the femoral region.
Well-known elderly people with arthrosis of the hip joint can cause pain of various locations, spreading to different parts of the legs and the whole body: in the pelvis, in the region of the knee joints, gluteal or lumbar areas, in the groin area. Frequent occurrence of arthritis is increased pain in certain parts of the thigh as the weather changes.
Systemic arthritis. Pathology in which a lesion of several large joints is diagnosed at once, which provokes soreness in the femoral region.
Pear muscle syndrome. This kind of pathology is found in almost half of the patients who went to the doctor for pain in the hip area. In almost 100% of cases, discomfort occurs only in one limb. With this diagnosis, patients indicate a certain localization of pain – in the area of the buttocks and down to the foot on the back of the thigh (see also – what to do if the buttock hurts).
Inflammation of the piriformis (video)
Pain in the buttock and how to get rid of it? Pinching of the sciatic nerve as the cause of pain in the hip. Recommendations for the prevention and treatment of Elena Malysheva and her colleagues.
Rheumatism. The disease, which many consider not too dangerous pathology, often becomes the culprit of chronic pain in the thigh. Unpleasant sensations appear in parallel with the spread of rheumatic processes in the connective tissue.
TBS inflammation. The hip joint is a complex mechanism consisting of a large number of different elements: ligaments, cartilage, muscles, articular bags and
Intervertebral hernia lumbar spinal column. Declares a characteristic pain in the posterior, lateral or anterior surface of the thigh. With such a diagnosis, hip soreness is not the only unpleasant symptom complained of by a person seeking medical help. As a rule, pain is common: it covers the lumbar area, the femoral region and reaches the feet.
Osteochondrosis. If the pathology has arisen in the sacral or lumbar spine, then the pain in the hip does not occur from time to time, but regularly, becoming a constant companion of the patient. In osteochondrosis, pain radiates: it gives to the area of the buttocks, spreading mainly along the back of the thigh.
Damage to the muscular-ligamentous apparatus. If there is tissue damage in the TBS area, then the pain will certainly be felt and will give it to the hip area.
Pain syndrome can occur not only against the background of natural processes occurring in the body (as in arthrosis, osteochondrosis), but also due to other reasons:
- congenital defects of the legs;
- against the background of metabolic disorders;
- as a result of trauma (severe injury of TBS, sprains and
Dangerous pathologies and hip pain
All of the above causes of pain in the hip are not life-threatening changes and deviations. However, there are more formidable pathologies, accompanied by pain in the upper part of the lower extremities and carrying a real threat not only to health, but also to human life. We are talking about serious infectious diseases, diseases of the cardiovascular system and oncology.
Malignant neoplasm. Quite rare, but possible pathology, causing pain in the thigh. Primary tumors in the hip joint and surrounding tissues are extremely rare. A more frequent phenomenon is bone metastases (for example, in malignant tumors of the prostate or mammary gland).
Infectious diseases. The most common are bone tuberculosis and osteomyelitis. As a result of serious illnesses, parts of the femur are affected. If a person suddenly has a limp, sharp pain in the hip, increased body temperature, then the infectious nature of pathology should be excluded first. In addition, infectious diseases of the urogenital system, sciatic-rectal fossa abscess, and pelvic abscess can cause pain in this part of the lower extremities.
Narrowing (stenosis) of blood vessels. It manifests itself as a pronounced pain in the thigh, which increases with any exertion. In addition to pain, a person may experience lameness, the appearance of which in many cases complicates diagnosis, misleads both the patient and the doctor.
The main types of pain in the hip
There are various classifications of pain in the thigh. So, depending on the intensity, it can be:
- Ostro. Occurs suddenly, as a rule, in case of damage to soft tissues. In this case, a person clearly feels the place of localization of pain, can show the most painful place to the doctor.
- Whining. Characterized by a more extensive localization, often occurs in parallel with acute pain. As a rule, the aching nature of pain increases with the progression of the main malaise against which it originated. The peculiarity of aching pain is the difficulty of diagnosing and determining the causes of its occurrence.
- Chronic. Appears after a certain time interval. Can torment a person for weeks and even months. Most often talk about the development of extensive inflammatory process of different localization.
In addition, pain in the TBS area can be:
- Somatic. Damage to the ligaments, tendons, joints and bone tissue provokes this type of pain. In this case, the patient experiences a nagging pain in the hip area, which can be both dull and more acute. Often, it is impossible to accurately indicate the location of pain syndrome.
- Neuralgic. Appears on the background of damage to nerve fibers. It seems to a person that it is the thigh that hurts, despite the fact that in this part of the body there are no obvious pathologies.
- Dermal. The most short-term type of pain in the hip, which occurs as a result of damage to the nerve endings located on the surface of the epidermis. This type of pain disappears as soon as the irritating (traumatic) factor ceases to have its effect on the skin.
Any type of hip pain may be accompanied by accompanying symptoms: limited joint mobility, tingling, numbness, goose bumps in the leg, a feeling of joint instability.
Features of pain of different localization
As you already understood, pain in the leg can have not only a different origin, but also localization. Most often, pain occurs in the leg:
- Hip to Knee. A person experiences unpleasant symptoms not only in the femoral region and below, but also in the groin area. Often the pain spreads to the lumbar region. Quite often, similar pain syndrome is observed in women and girls during menstruation.
- From the hip to the foot. In most cases, is acute, radiating to the lumbar region. It seems to a person that a pinched nerve has occurred or a serious dislocation. Pain syndrome increases during movement.
- At rest. Not always hip pain occurs during exercise. Some patients complain of increased pain at rest (for example, when lying on their left side or back). Frequent companions of this form of pain – a feeling of numbness in the legs, as well as a feeling of burning in the muscles. At the same time, a person can safely make elementary movements – bending around, squats, without experiencing discomfort.
- In the left or right thigh. Any of the above causes may be caused. In 95% of cases, the pain is aching and increases with time. A person experiences obvious discomfort not only during movements, but also at rest.
Pain in the hip joint (video)
What if hip joint hurts? Tips from Elena Malysheva and other specialists in the program “To live healthy”.
Sore hip while walking: why does this happen?
Most of the patients, coming to the doctor, complains of pain in the hip when walking. The following factors can cause discomfort of this localization while driving:
- hip problems;
- muscle and tendon damage;
- abnormalities in the structure of the femurs;
- damage to nerve endings located in this region of the lower limb.
In some cases, pain such localization can cause varicose veins, thrombophlebitis and other problems with the vessels.
To determine the vascular nature of pain is quite simple: pain in the thigh with varicose veins occurs along the vein, while the pain is aching in nature. As soon as a person starts walking, the nature of the pain in most cases changes to pulsating.
Thrombophlebitis provokes the appearance of moderate pain, which can increase when a person walks. In addition to pain in the thigh, the patient is worried about: fever (local or extensive), redness at the site of inflammation, swelling of the lower limb.
Due to the fact that hip pain can be caused by dozens of different reasons, a thorough diagnosis should be carried out. An individual comprehensive examination program should be developed for each patient, depending on: the nature of the pain, localization, associated symptoms, the age of the patient and
The most informative diagnostic methods:
- MRI. If it is determined that the pain is not caused by any injury or damage to this area, and is combined with pain in the lumbar region, then the patient is first prescribed magnetic resonance imaging of the spine, hip area.
- Vascular studies. The most common Doppler study of the vessels of the lower extremities, allowing to assess the state of the vascular system and to identify existing pathologies (including such common diseases as varicose veins or thrombophlebitis).
- Researches of tendon reflexes, electromyography. Special research methods to assess the activity of ligaments and muscle fibers.
- General clinical and immunological analyzes, biochemistry. Allows you to draw conclusions about the presence of the inflammatory process in the body, to confirm or refute the causes of pain in the thigh, determined using other methods of research.
The main methods of treatment
Any therapeutic measures and drug therapy are prescribed after receiving reliable research results and making an accurate diagnosis.
In case of a pronounced pain syndrome, in the first place, the patient is recommended symptomatic treatment methods, the main purpose of which is the rapid removal of a strong pain syndrome. To this end, the doctor may recommend taking modern analgesics (usually in injectable form).
Hip pain in intervertebral hernia? The blockade on the basis of novocaine will come to the aid in the area of pinching of the sciatic nerve.
Subsequently, the patient may be recommended:
- Anti-inflammatory drugs treatment. The so-called non-steroid drugs (Diclofenac, Indomethacin and
Tips for traditional medicine
If the pain in the hip occurred for the first time, you can resort to traditional medicine, and try to get rid of the discomfort in the hip joint yourself. What can be used?
- Fat. Attach a small strip of natural product to the diseased joint and tie it down with a loose dressing. After some time (5-8 hours), the fat will be thinned. As soon as this happens, you should replace the old piece with a new one. Therapeutic application is carried out until complete relief from hip pain.
- Pepper compress. Used for aching pains in the thigh. What is required? A pair of pods of bitter pepper, onion juice, plantain juice, interior fat. Pepper twist through a meat grinder, add 20 ml of psyllium juice and 100 ml of freshly squeezed onion juice. Mix the mixture with a small amount of fat. To apply, use a slightly heated mixture, rubbing the sore spot with it and carefully wrapping the thigh with a warm cloth.
- Mustard ointment. An excellent tool to combat pain in the hip area. To prepare the ointment will need: a glass of salt,? glasses of mustard and some kerosene. By mixing these components, prepare an ointment with a consistency similar to thick cream. Use the tool for rubbing in sore joints before bedtime.