Reflecting on why menstruation was delayed, women rarely assume that this can be a sign of a serious problem. Very often, everything starts to drift in anticipation that the state normalizes by itself.
What is ovarian dysfunction?
In general, changes in the cycle are most often provoked by ovarian dysfunction. This is a generic name for all diseases in which the work of the ovaries is disrupted, and hence the ability to produce enough hormones. Dysfunction is called any delay in menstruation for more than five days with abundant bleeding in the future. As noted above, few women realize that something threatens their health. They do not see anything serious in the delay, and often do not even try to understand why their periods were delayed. How correct is it? In this we will try to understand the article.
Signs of a normal cycle
In the absence of pathologies, the menstrual cycle of a healthy woman has clear criteria. If the indicated framework is violated, the conclusion is the same: there is something wrong with health and you need to go to the doctor.
So, signs of a normal menstrual cycle can be considered:
- Slight blood loss (up to 100 ml of blood over the entire period).
- The interval between the monthly from 21 to 35 days, no more and no less.
- The duration of the menstruation is not more than 7 days.
It is important to note that the female reproductive system is the first to signal problems in the body or a shortage of some substances. The normal functioning of all organs is possible only if the woman is completely healthy, and this means not only physical health, but also mental and emotional health.
Why do girls have monthly periods?
Above, we looked at hormonal dysfunction of the ovaries – the most common cause of delayed menstruation. When the hormonal function of one or both ovaries is impaired, menstruation occurs either after a very long period of time, or it starts too early (at intervals of less than 21 days).
The main reasons for interruptions with the cycle include:
- Congenital or acquired defects in the ovary itself.
- Inflammatory processes of the reproductive system, including the uterus and appendages. As a result, the cycle and the functioning of the ovaries are disrupted. It is also one of the reasons why menstruation is delayed in adolescents. Young girls too often go on about fashion and allow hypothermia of the reproductive system. As a result, there are various inflammatory processes that can lead not only to disruption of the cycle, but also to adhesions, and this almost always threatens with infertility.
- Stress and neurosis. The female body is very sensitive to the slightest changes in the emotional state of a woman. That is why during the examinations and difficult life situations, menstruation may not occur for a long time. The best treatment in this case is rest, relaxation and departure from the zone of action of the stress-forming factor.
- Any diseases of the genital organs can be the reason for the delayed periods. That is why the delay should go to the doctor, and not wait for the situation to resolve itself.
- Change and wrong position of the helix, abortion or miscarriage.
- Endocrine diseases. Hormones are responsible for everything in the body, so any endocrine disease affects the menstrual cycle. This is especially true of diseases of the thyroid gland, adrenal glands. These illnesses are not always congenital. They can be acquired, if the girl has a predisposition to them.
- The influence of physical factors. For example, a change in climate, place of residence, a dramatic change in sleep patterns and rhythm of life can lead to a delay in menstruation. This is not serious, and the delay, as a rule, lasts no more than three days.
- The use of drugs that affect hormone levels. In general, hormonal failure – this is the reason why monthly periods are delayed for a week or more.
On what grounds can you determine that the delay in menstruation is an indicator of a serious illness?
In addition to the main feature – the delay of menstruation, ovarian dysfunction has a number of distinctive features.
- Irregular cycle. If menstruation is delayed or come too early for a long time, and not once or twice a year, then it is worth thinking.
- Reduction or increase in blood loss during menstruation. In normal blood loss is up to 100 ml for all time. A sharp change in the amount of discharge can also signal the presence of a problem with reproductive function.
- If there is a bloody discharge between the months – urgently to the doctor!
- Abdominal pain in the middle of the cycle or a change in the nature of sensations during the menstruation itself.
- Changes and disturbances in the process of maturation of the egg, which can lead to infertility and miscarriage.
- Pregnancy. No matter how trite, it is she who is often the reason why the menstruation is delayed. To exclude it, you must either go to the doctor, or do a test. By the way, tests can be done from the first day of the delay.
If the monthly ones come after the deadline or have not come at all, the first thing is to consult a doctor. Examination should be carried out by a gynecologist-endocrinologist. He may prescribe an ultrasound of the pelvic organs, as well as the thyroid gland and adrenal glands. In any case, it is impossible to determine the cause of the delay. Only an examination by a good doctor will allow you to understand why your period is delayed by a month, a week or a couple of days.
How to eliminate the delay?
This question should be asked only after it became known why the periods were delayed. So, if the reason – in inflammatory processes, the most important thing – to eliminate them. If necessary, you should drink a course of antibiotics, which will appoint a doctor. An important role in the treatment of failures of the menstrual cycle plays a balanced diet. Poor nutrition is another reason why menstruation is delayed (except for pregnancy).
Cycle failures in young girls
Meanwhile, menstruation is delayed not only in adult women. This problem is faced by young persons. Many mothers can not understand why menstruation is delayed in adolescents. It turns out that during the first two years after the onset of menstruation, the girl may have an irregular cycle due to hormonal imbalances. The body is just being formed, and even the slightest stress or excessive exercise can cause fluctuations in the hormonal level. As a result, menstruation may be delayed for quite a long time. It makes sense to consult a doctor if the first periods began either before 10 years or after 15 years. If, after two or three years, the cycle has not yet been established, then it makes sense to consult a gynecologist for advice. The most important thing during this period is proper nutrition, a sufficient amount of vitamins and mental balance. A common treatment method is the correction of endocrine disorders, or hormone therapy.