Favorite nutritionists porridge, a traditional side dish, familiar from childhood – buckwheat, buckwheat, buckwheat. Homeland of this unique culture are the mountainous regions of India and Nepal.
Buckwheat is a record holder in the content of vitamins and minerals, but it is important to take into account the rules for preparing a product in order to preserve useful elements.
The value of buckwheat
Buckwheat is sold in the form of whole kernels – jarice, punctured – pierced, in the form of smoothed cereal cleared from the shell – Smolensk, green buckwheat is gaining popularity – unroasted raw grains.
From each type of buckwheat you can cook healthy and tasty dishes.
Useful properties of cereals
- improves the cardiovascular system, normalizes cholesterol levels, vascular elasticity;
- removes excess fluid, relieves swelling, restores functions of the excretory system;
- green buckwheat is a natural antioxidant, removes toxins, free radicals, it is recommended for radiation sickness;
- helps restore the reproductive abilities of the body, the presence of folic acid is crucial in the first trimester of pregnancy for the normal course of gestation, as well as the development of the fetus;
- has a tonic, immunomodulatory effects;
- reduces weight, stimulates metabolism;
- restores energy potential after severe, protracted diseases.
Meals from buckwheat (green preference) are recommended for people with infectious diseases, pathologies of the heart, blood vessels, diabetes, malfunctions of the kidneys, liver, obesity. The absence of gluten allows you to include it in the menu gluten-free diet. Buckwheat has a positive effect on the nervous system, improves cognitive abilities, and increases resistance to stress.
- carbohydrates – 60%, proteins −13%, fats 3%, water −15%;
- vitamins B1, B2, folic acid, E, PP;
- mineral complex – zinc, iron, iodine, potassium, phosphorus, calcium, copper;
- organic acids – linoleic, malic, oxalic, maleic, citric.
How to cook buckwheat
Buckwheat dishes get tasty and nutritious with the observance of cooking technology. To preserve the healing qualities of cereals is not difficult, you need to know some features of cooking.
How to cook buckwheat:
- To prepare 1 serving you will need 1/3 cup of cereals, it is necessary to choose particles of vegetable garbage from the kernels.
- Rinse the grits thoroughly under running water 2-3 times, it is important that the water is clear, free of impurities.
- Put the kernels in a saucepan with a thick bottom, pour 2/3 glasses of water. If 100 gr. measured out with the help of scales, the liquid will need 2 times more.
- As soon as the water boils, remove the foam formed with a skimmer, add salt and cook on medium heat under the lid for another 12-20 minutes, on average, the whole process takes no more than 25 minutes.
- Buckwheat bags do not need to sort and wash, pour into the pan
How much time to cook buckwheat for garnish
Preparing a base for a salad or side dish is very simple. In order for croup to remain crumbly and preserve vitamins and minerals, you need to follow the step by step instructions.
How to quickly cook buckwheat
- measure the required amount of cereal, rinse several times under running water;
- warm up in a hot frying pan for 2-6 minutes, this will allow the grits to become crumbly;
- pour prepared grains into the pan, pour water at the rate of 1 part cereal, 2 parts liquid;
- put on fire, after boiling reduce to average;
- in 10-15 minutes the base is ready, you can fill with oil to taste or combine with other ingredients – vegetables, sour cream, spices.
A simple recipe for buckwheat porridge
A distinctive feature of porridge is a friable consistency. It is well combined with mushrooms, meat, milk, suitable for diet, as well as for the treatment and prevention of anemia.
- after the cereal is washed and dried, pour it with milk or water, the proportions are the same as in the classic recipe, if you want to make it more viscous, you must add another 50 ml of water;
- as soon as the liquid boils, remove the foam with a skimmer, reduce the heat to low and cook under the lid closed;
- after 20 minutes, check readiness: when fully evaporated, the porridge should slightly stick to the bottom;
- if the liquid still remains, you need to turn off the stove, cover with a lid and wait another 15 minutes until the cores absorb moisture, reveal all their taste qualities;
- add butter, chopped greens to the finished porridge.
On how to cook a very popular dish “Buckwheat in a merchant”, watch the video
Popular cooking options for buckwheat
There are many ways to prepare a traditional dish. The variety of recipes allows you to create a culinary masterpiece, retaining all the useful qualities of a vegetable product.
Proportions 1 part of cereal to 2 parts of cold water, adding a pinch of salt, cook under a closed lid for up to 20 minutes, you can fill with butter, honey, dried fruit;
Cooking in milk can be 2 ways. In the first case, the dish is cooked over low heat for half an hour, in the second – the first 20 minutes, porridge is cooked in water, and boiling milk is added 10 minutes before switching off.
After cooking, you can shade the taste, both with the help of sugar and salt.
It does not require cooking, cooking begins in the evening, after clearing debris and rinsing under running water, the croup is filled with hot liquid in standard proportions, covered with a lid, wrapped with a towel, by the morning the porridge is ready;
To make crumbly buckwheat after the water boils, send the cereal to the pan, reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes without opening the lid, then remove from the stove and wrap up with a towel, after 40 minutes the crumbly porridge is ready;
The basis of baby food is liquid buckwheat porridge. For its preparation at 20 oz. half a glass of water, the same amount of milk, 5 gr. will be required to clean, washed, dried cereals. butter, sugar to taste – but not more than 10 grams.
Pour the cereal with water, cook over low heat for half an hour, add liquid to the desired volume during evaporation, add hot milk, cook for another 15 minutes, remove from the stove, add butter and sweeten.
Porridge for baby
Pure top-grade cereal should be ground on a coffee grinder into flour, 1 teaspoon will require 100 ml of water, pour the resulting buckwheat powder with liquid, cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Half-year-old baby can be boiled in milk, the proportion – 1 tsp. buckwheat flour, 50 ml of nonfat milk, 50 ml of water; closer to the year, gradually add a pinch of sugar, 5 ml of children’s milk cream.
What to cook buckwheat
Today, you can take advantage of new ways to make your favorite cereal, while retaining all the valuable elements in it.
In the pan
The pot should be chosen with a sufficiently thick bottom; during cooking, the lid should be closed, this allows to reduce the cooking time and avoid burning, the cooking time is 15-20 minutes;
In the microwave
Pour the cereal into a special dish, fill it with water, respecting the classical proportions, cover with a lid and put in a microwave. Set the mode to boiling, stir after the beep, cover and cook for 4 minutes.
Repeat the process again – open, mix, close and cook for 4 minutes, check the lack of water and the opening of the core, if the liquid remains at the bottom, send for an additional 2 minutes, add salt, add oil;
In a double boiler
100 gr. cereal poured into a container for rice, water will need 120 ml, set at the bottom level of the double boiler, turn on the timer for 40 minutes, after the beep, get the finished dish;
In the slow cooker
Preparing is very simple, for 1 glass of cereal, take 2 glasses of water, fill the saucepan of the multicooker, add salt, select the “Porridge” mode, wait for the acoustic signal of the porridge readiness.
For each dish there are subtleties of cooking:
- For garnishes, moderately dense croup is allowed, the cooking time should not exceed 20 minutes.
- For salads, it is preferable to pour kernels with boiling water and cook for no more than 7-10 minutes.
- For cutlets, Greek inhabitants, baked puddings, grits are steamed for half an hour, then they combine with other ingredients and undergo heat treatment.
To obtain the desired result, it is necessary to consider the subtleties of cooking cereals:
- for a crumbly cereal, a cauldron with a thick bottom is required, as well as the correct ratio: 1 part cereal, 2 parts water or milk;
- in order to speed up the cooking process, pour the rump better with boiling liquid rather than cold;
- green buckwheat cooks faster than brown, after boiling enough 10-15 minutes until the dish is ready.
Typical mistakes in cooking
Overcooked, burnt porridge can be obtained if you do not take into account the following features:
- the choice of the correct dishes is important – a cast-iron, glass pan with a thick bottom, it is not recommended to boil it in enameled;
- oil is better to add to the already prepared dish;
- after boiling it is necessary to remove the foam, otherwise it will settle on a brown coating on the croup;
- when exceeding the ratio of water, as well as time – more than half an hour, porridge will stick together, boil down, also increases calorie content to 150 kcal per 100 g;
- Pre-roasting cereals on a hot skillet will help make it crumbly, improve taste.
Useful delicious dishes from buckwheat will decorate the table, providing the body with additional valuable vitamins and minerals.