Pregnancy is a happy, but at the same time exciting time in the life of every woman. When the future mommy learns that a new life is growing and developing inside her, the world seems to be turning over. In the article you can find detailed information about the signs of pregnancy in the early stages, namely in the first week. In addition, here you can read useful recommendations for young parents.
First week of obstetric period
1 week of pregnancy is considered a rather conditional concept. Doctors start it from the first day of menstruation. This is due to the fact that this is the date the patient remembers most often. Despite this, the date of conception is not always possible to establish with accuracy. Even if the couple clearly remembers the day on which unprotected sexual contact occurred, this does not mean that the conception happened at that very moment. In fact, conception may come in a few days after intercourse.
What is the difference between fetal and obstetric gestational age?
Obstetric doctors calculate the term from the first day of the last menstruation. The embryonic term is fertilization. Obstetric period is usually longer than the embryonic for 2-3 weeks. This is explained by the fact that a woman spends 14-18 days from the first day of menstruation to ovulation. Conception usually occurs during this period. That is, it turns out that 1 week of pregnancy for obstetric terms is not a pregnancy per se.
The child is 40 obstetric weeks or 38 fetal weeks.
What happens at this stage?
Menstruation is a process that is accompanied by bleeding from a woman. Thus, the uterus is cleared from the endometrium (tissue that lines the cavity of the organ). On it, the fertilized cell can consolidate in the uterus. After the end of menstruation, this tissue changes greatly. The endometrium becomes thicker, blood vessels form on it. This process is the preparation of the reproductive organ to the attachment of a fertilized egg. If conception does not occur, the endometrium is exfoliated and brought out.
In addition, the woman has changes in the mammary glands. The chest becomes more dense, sensitive. Some patients report pain. This process is considered to be quite normal during the premenstrual and menstrual syndrome, therefore should not cause concern.
At 1 week of pregnancy, many women feel unpleasant pulling sensations in the lower back and abdomen. Discomfort is associated with the fact that the uterus is reduced, trying to get rid of the endometrium. This is also a normal phenomenon, not considered a pathology.
Is it possible to feel pregnancy before the delay
Many mummies at forums actively discuss the issue of how pregnancy manifests itself in the first week. Doctors say that it is impossible to diagnose a pregnancy, let alone identify any signs or sensations in a woman before the delay, but in fact it turns out to be a little different. Many girls seek as soon as possible to learn about the ensuing conception. What is it for? It all depends on whether the desired child or not.
If the pregnancy is planned, the future mom wants to confirm this event more likely. If conception, on the contrary, is undesirable, then the sooner the pregnancy is revealed, the earlier it will be possible to have an abortion. If you terminate the pregnancy at an early period, then according to reviews, complications occur less frequently. Below we consider several ways to reliably determine pregnancy even before the delay.
Basal temperature (BT)
Immediately, we note that women with a regular menstrual cycle in the presence of ovulation can use the method of determining pregnancy by basal temperature. If the body has various disorders (hormonal disruptions, diseases of the female genital organs, infectious and inflammatory diseases), then this method will not work.
The basal temperature during the month has different indicators. This is due to the level of certain hormones in the body. During menstruation, BT is always elevated and is about 37 degrees. Before the onset of ovulation, the thermometer marks decrease, and after ovulation is completed, they increase by about 0.5 degrees.
The menstrual cycle is divided into follicular and luteal phases. At the same time, the duration of the second phase is approximately the same for all representatives of the fair half (12-14 days). Therefore, if BT after ovulation remains elevated for more than 14 days, we can talk about the onset of pregnancy.
HCG in the blood
How to understand the onset of pregnancy from the first week? Accurately confirm the interesting position in the early stages will help tests. Of course, their instructions for use say that the test should be used from the first day of the delay. But to be honest, the level of hCG in the blood rises already 7-10 days after conception, that is, 2-3 days before the delay. The increase in hCG levels during pregnancy at different periods can be seen in the table.
Any test can give a false answer, so this diagnostic method is not considered 100% reliable.
Folk omens by definition of pregnancy
From generation to generation, our grandmothers and great-grandmothers shared their experiences and feelings during the onset of pregnancy. This experience is often used by modern women. The following signs can be the early signs of pregnancy on the basis of popular signs:
- Dreams. It is believed that if a woman had a dream in which there was a stork, butterflies, swans, fish or cabbage, then soon she will find out about her interesting position.
- Change in taste. Women used this simple method for a long time. Even then, they noticed that the pregnant woman significantly changes the taste preferences.
- Experiment with urine. Our ancestors believed that if they collected potted flowers after the night, they would water the indoor flowers and they would start blooming better, then the girl carries the child.
- Frequent urging to the toilet. This is another sign that our grandmothers accurately noticed.
Of course, all these signs are quite controversial. You can not treat them with full confidence. In modern society, pregnancy is much easier to confirm with the usual test.
Changes in the body
The initial stage of pregnancy is the period accompanied by fertilization of the egg. The fetal egg moves along the fallopian tube into the uterus. At the same time, the organism at the physiological level begins to actively prepare for carrying a child. Women often feel a change in taste, malaise, drowsiness.
It is important to say that the symptoms at the beginning of pregnancy are individual. Many moms don’t even notice their interesting position.
Despite this, it is still possible to identify certain changes in the body of a woman. Let’s look at how the bodies of the future mom are changing.
The mammary glands of many women change from the first days of pregnancy, but this is not always the case. Many girls do not notice any signs from the chest
- darkening nipples;
- increased sensitivity;
- swelling of the mammary glands;
- increase in size.
During this period, you must take care of a high-quality and comfortable bra. It should be made of natural material, not cause irritation, do not hamper breathing.
In the first trimester, the stomach does not increase in size. It begins to grow from about 12 weeks. Sometimes during the advancement of the ovum through the fallopian tube and at the time of its attachment to the wall of the uterus, the girl may feel slight discomfort, pulling pains in the lower abdomen and in the lumbar region.
Pulling sensations passing character should not bother the girl. If the pain becomes severe, there is bloody discharge, you should immediately go to the hospital.
In the first week of pregnancy, it is rather difficult to notice any physiological changes in the body. Signs of the onset of conception can be recognized by an experienced gynecologist. At the same time such symptoms are found:
- slight blue of the cervical mucosa;
- a slight increase in uterus diameter;
- softening of the reproductive organ.
The woman herself often notices increased urination, impaired stool (diarrhea or constipation). All this is due to the changes that the body passes for the normal carrying of the fetus.
Sometimes a woman’s ovulation coincides with the beginning of the next menstrual cycle. In this case, the girl may note scant spotting. That is, monthly can go on the first week of pregnancy. This is not considered a pathology, but later on there should be no normal menstruation.
Signs and feelings of the future mom
Women planning pregnancy, carefully listen to your body, trying to recognize the first signs of the onset of the long-awaited conception. These symptoms include the following feelings:
- Increase in basal temperature. Girls who monitor their basal temperature during the cycle may notice a change in these indicators. When pregnancy occurs, the basal temperature remains elevated, which is associated with changes in hormonal levels.
- Lack of menstruation. The absence of menstrual bleeding often indicates the onset of conception, but this is not always the case. Often this symptom may indicate hormonal disruptions, diseases of the female genital organs and so on.
- Nausea, bloating, heartburn, weakness, and dizziness in the morning. This is the so-called toxicosis. The first signs of pregnancy at such an early period are rarely observed, but some women feel unwell from the first days of conception.
- Changes in the mammary glands. Often at the time of conception a woman feels increased sensitivity, swelling, tenderness in the area of the mammary glands.
- Changing the nature of vaginal discharge. Due to an increase in the body of the hormone progesterone, cervical mucus is released more intensively. It is worth noting that in some women the secretion of mucus increases during the period of ovulation. Do not confuse these states.
- From many girls at the initial stage of pregnancy, you can hear such a complaint “pulling or hurting the lower abdomen.” These sensations are explained by the contraction of the uterus. Many people confuse this condition with the beginning of menstruation.
- Insomnia may develop due to anxiety and hormonal changes.
- The behavior of the girl often changes. She becomes whiny, emotional, sensitive;
- Often at the initial stage of pregnancy, women are diagnosed with cystitis or thrush. This is due to a decrease in local immunity.
- Slight bloody or brown discharge. The fact is that during attachment of the fetus to the endometrium of the uterus, insignificant amount of blood can be released. As a rule, this sign goes unnoticed by many girls.
In addition to all the above signs, the most accurate confirmation of the onset of conception is a pregnancy test. It is important to remember that there is no point in conducting the test a week after unprotected intercourse. Even if the fertilization of the egg has occurred, hCG in the blood is not yet produced in large quantities. Therefore, the test will show one strip.
How to use the test
As we have already found out, a week after sexual intercourse, it is pointless to conduct a test. The first diagnosis at home using the rapid test can be performed from the first days of the delay of menstruation. The exact test result can only show, after 7-10 days after the onset of conception.
Using the test involves the following steps:
- Buy a pregnancy test at the pharmacy.
- It is better to diagnose in the morning time, since the concentration of hCG during this period is the highest.
- The specified area of the test strip should be lowered for 3-5 seconds into the urine, then removed and held for 10-20 seconds.
- If pregnancy is present, the indicator will show 2 bars. The first one is a control one. It indicates that the test is suitable and it is quite possible to believe him. The second shows the presence of hCG in the blood.
Sometimes the second band appears weakly. In most cases, this suggests that the pregnancy has begun, but the concentration of hCG is still rather weak. In such a situation, it is recommended to perform a diagnosis in a few days.
The stages of development from fertilization of the egg and attachment of the embryo to the endometrium of the uterus can be seen in the picture.
This amazing and at the same time difficult process becomes the beginning of a new life. Let us consider in more detail the process of conceiving a child.
The mystery of the birth of a new life
A pregnancy calendar starts with a man’s semen in the vagina of a woman. The path of sperm cells is quite long. It can last up to 9 days. Already, the sex of the child (boy or girl) is being decided, because it will depend on which sperm cell meets the egg cell (with the X or Y chromosome). Sometimes a multiple pregnancy happens. This is especially common with IVF (artificial insemination).
Many people mistakenly believe that egg fertilization occurs in the uterus, but this is not so. The meeting of the male and female cells takes place in the fallopian tube, from where the fetal egg has a long way to go and then attaches to the wall of the uterus.
It is in the fallopian tube that the sacrament of conception occurs. The sperm head penetrates the egg cell. This happens due to the fact that the male cell contains a special enzyme that dissolves the shell of the egg. After that, the tail of the sperm falls away. The egg cell turns into a zygote, its surface changes and for other sperm cells it becomes inaccessible.
The path of the zygote to the uterus
Every day the zygote develops and divides. On the fourth day, it consists of 16 cells. This complex process is nothing more than the formation of the embryo. A few days later the egg leaves the fallopian tube, but now this period is dangerous, because there is still a high risk of developing ectopic pregnancy. It occurs if the zygote under the influence of any factors is fixed in the fallopian tube or other pathological place.
How long does the fertilized egg get into the uterus? Attachment of the embryo to the wall of the uterus occurs at 6-7 days. This is the last stage before the development of pregnancy in the uterus. Now in this place there will be a further growth of the tiny organism. It should be noted that the diameter of the embryo in this period is only a few millimeters. Full immersion of the placenta in the uterine wall occurs approximately on the tenth day. The total duration of implantation lasts 40 hours.
To see the embryo on ultrasound in the first week is impossible. In obstetric terms during this period, only the uterus is being prepared for the upcoming conception. During an ultrasound examination, a thickening of the uterine cavity, accumulation of dead blood and endometrial particles can be noticed.
With the help of ultrasound, you can see the embryo as early as three weeks of pregnancy. It is a tiny body stuck to the wall of the uterus.
The embryo during this period resembles a tadpole, has no limbs.
What tests are needed
The first week of pregnancy for many parents is, in fact, a planning period. At this stage it is very important to prepare the body for the upcoming baby bearing. A woman is recommended to undergo the following laboratory tests:
- A blood test to help determine if Mom has any problems, such as inflammation or other warning signs.
- Analysis of urine. Helps to identify the level of protein and other formed elements.
- Vaginal smear on pathogens. This will help to identify whether the patient has an infection, to treat certain diseases in a woman and her partner.
- Screening for hepatitis, HIV and other diseases. The fact is that pregnancy management in such patients has its own characteristics.
- Analysis for diseases such as cytomegalovirus, herpes, toxoplasma. If the infection is in its active stage, conception should be postponed.
In addition, it is recommended to visit a gynecologist, a dentist, a cardiologist. Occasionally, examination by a neurologist or a surgeon is required.
Ultrasound in the first week, of course, will not determine the presence of a child. The purpose of this examination is the identification of various diseases – tumors, cysts in the cavity of the genital organ. In addition, with the help of ultrasound, the doctor can diagnose problems with the endometrium, for example, thinning it. This often causes miscarriage and infertility. In addition, the procedure will help determine the maturity of the eggs.
HCG level in the first week
At this time, it does not make sense to take an analysis for the level of human chorionic gonadotropin. During this period, hCG is still very small and with the help of such an analysis pregnancy cannot be determined.
Preparing to carry a baby
It is no secret that pregnancy is not an easy period in the life of every woman. In order for the process of carrying the fetus to pass comfortably for the mother and the baby, it is necessary to properly prepare for this difficult and responsible period.
It cannot be assumed that after the onset of conception any physical activity is contraindicated in a woman. The future mom should pay attention to physical exertion. Of course, jogging and strength training are contraindications, but sports such as swimming, stretching, yoga for pregnant women are best suited.
In addition, you need to remember that for good labor, you should strengthen the vaginal muscles. To do this, it is recommended to do Kegel exercises daily. The essence of this charge is to alternately squeeze and relax the vaginal muscles.
Kegel exercises help ease childbirth, avoid tearing, increase muscle tone. You can perform gymnastics at home after permission of the doctor.
Positive thinking throughout pregnancy is the key to successfully carrying a baby. Positive emotions and lack of stress are necessary for the healthy development of the fetus. The girl is recommended to listen to pleasant music, communicate with family and friends, you can do some hobby (knitting, embroidery, origami).
Good mood will contribute to a good rest. A girl in such a difficult period is recommended to sleep at least 9 hours a day. In addition, it is important to wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
To carry out and give birth to a healthy child, a woman will be helped by healthy nutrition and proper lifestyle. Doctors emphasize that pregnancy should be planned. Young parents need to lead a healthy lifestyle at least six months before the onset of conception. At the same time, it is important to undergo a full-fledged medical examination, give up bad habits, cure existing diseases.
If conception has already arrived, the woman should follow the following recommendations:
- become registered in female consultation;
- conduct the first screening;
- undergo a routine medical examination;
- pay due attention to dental health;
- to refuse from bad habits;
- if a woman is sick, you can not self-medicate, you need to go to the hospital;
- eat right;
- try to avoid stress;
- often walk in the fresh air;
- abandon power sports and weightlifting;
- Do not contact with patients suffering from viral and bacterial diseases.
Careful attitude to your body will help to cope with the load placed on it, because during pregnancy the immunity is weakened.
Features diet in the first week
The menu of young mommy from the first days of the onset of conception should include a large amount of vitamins and minerals. In the diet of a pregnant woman in the first week there should be such dishes:
- lean meats in baked, stewed or boiled form;
- omega-rich fatty fish;
- greens, salads, vegetables and fruits;
- kefir, yogurt, sour cream, ryazhenka, yogurt, cottage cheese;
- eggs (1-2 per day);
- bakery products from rye flour;
- from sweets you can choose honey, marshmallow, marmalade, halvah, dried fruits.
Young mummies are not recommended to eat smoked foods, pickles, fatty, spicy, fried foods, chocolate. Need to give up carbonated drinks, alcohol, strong tea, coffee. Sugar is better to replace honey. Up to 50 g of sugar per day is allowed. Due to improper nutrition, the girl may become nauseated, vomiting occurs.
With the onset of pregnancy, the girl should abandon raw fish and meat, as these products are sometimes sources of infection by parasites.
What not to do
Pregnancy is not a disease, and many moms lead an active lifestyle before the onset of maternity leave. They raise children, perform daily work. To make a baby without complications, from the first weeks of conception it is still recommended to reduce the physical load on the body. It is necessary to behave like this:
- do not work more than 6 hours a day without rest;
- do not spend a long time at the computer monitor;
- antibiotics and other pills in the first weeks of pregnancy should be taken only on prescription;
- do not fly a plane on long trips;
- it is also better to refuse to work at night;
- it is not recommended to sit in one position or stand for too long;
- It is important not to lift weights, because it can provoke a miscarriage;
- You can not go to the baths, saunas and solariums;
- during this period it is forbidden to carry out X-rays and fluorography;
- you can not take hot baths.
Accurate implementation of the above tips will help minimize the likelihood of development of pathologies in the fetus and abortion.
The need for vitamins
Saturation of the body with vitamins is a vital necessity for a young mommy and fetus. With a deficiency of calcium, potassium, phosphorus, folic acid and other trace elements, the chances of taking out and giving birth to a healthy child are significantly reduced. In addition, vitamin deficiency during pregnancy can lead to brittle hair and nails, tooth loss, skin diseases and other problems.
What vitamins are prescribed for pregnant women? The choice of a drug should be done only by a doctor. In this case, the specialist should be guided by the characteristics of tests in a pregnant woman and her general well-being. Often moms are prescribed folic acid, Elevit pronatal, Vitrum for pregnant women and other drugs.
What should young parents know
For the correct and healthy development of the fetus in the first and subsequent weeks, the future mom is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- To give up smoking, including passive smoking, because it is harmful for the baby.
- Eliminate alcohol and drugs.
- Try to be less nervous, avoid conflicts at home and at work.
- Having sex only after the permission of the doctor.
- If there is a dog or cat in the house, you should only remove the pet’s toilet with gloves, it is good to wash your hands after that.
- Mom is not desirable to visit crowded places in the cold season. In the early stages of pregnancy, influenza, ARVI, chicken pox and other diseases can cause serious consequences.
- All remedies for treating colds should be prescribed only by a specialist.
- In the summer it is not recommended to buy products in natural markets. This can lead to food poisoning, diarrhea.
- Pregnant women should avoid crowding in public transport. It is better to take a taxi or walk.
- It is important to be on time to see a gynecologist.
Despite the fact that 1 week of pregnancy is only the beginning of a long and responsible journey, already at this time it is important to take good care of your health and follow all the recommendations of the leading doctor.
Attentive attitude to women’s health and a positive attitude will help to save the baby, will be the key to success in such a difficult task as motherhood.
Video about the first signs of pregnancy
This video will help to learn in detail about the first signs of pregnancy.