The interval between the two menstrual stages lasts 21-35 days, in 60% it lasts 28 days, in 30% of women it is 21 days, in 10% – 30-35 days. The duration of the menstrual cycle for all individual, and usually does not change throughout the reproductive period from 18 to 45 years. The period of the menstrual cycle is counted from the 1st day of the onset of menstruation to the 1st day of the beginning of the next. Monthly delay – the absence of menstruation by the expected period, may occur at different ages, last for a few days or more than 6 months.
How much normal can menstruation linger?
In a healthy woman with a regular cycle, the delay in menstruation for 1-3 days is normal. If the onset of menstruation is delayed no more than 3 days – this is the limit of the norm, there is no cause for concern, and nothing needs to be done. The reasons:
- transferred diseases in the current month;
- physical overload;
- psycho-emotional breakdowns;
- abrupt change in diet;
- climate change.
Is it possible to delay menstruation in adolescents?
In girls in puberty, when only the menstrual cycle is established and is irregular, delays can occur over two years. In some girls, a regular cycle is established immediately. A small delay of 3 days or longer, should not bother the girl and mother, sometimes there can be a delay from one month to six months. The establishment of the menstrual cycle in all girls takes place individually and in different ways – some immediately set a certain cycle and regulator time, others take time.
Monthly delay for 3-5 days
Such a delay is considered the limit of the norm, and does not speak of any pathologies. But sometimes it can mean a cycle failure. To provoke a failure can:
- severe stress;
- climate change;
- transferred ARVI and flu;
- exacerbations of chronic diseases;
- constant lack of sleep.
There is still time to wait, and no action is needed. If you suspect pregnancy, you can measure the rectal temperature, normally it will not rise above 36.8C.
Monthly delay for 6 – 10 days
If menstruation is delayed for 6-10 days, this should be alarming; its causes are borderline conditions, diseases, and the onset of pregnancy. To exclude the most common cause – pregnancy, you can check the pregnancy test from different manufacturers or pass in the laboratory for hCG. The reason that the regulae linger, there are diseases. The delay is called – secondary amenorrhea.
1. Ectopic pregnancy is a formidable and serious cause, the symptoms of which women should know:
- pulling pains in the abdomen;
- pain in the lower back;
- nausea dizziness;
- spotting brown, brown or bloody discharge.
If you have these symptoms, you should immediately contact the clinic. This serious and dangerous condition may be complicated by severe bleeding, leading to infertility.
- Vaginitis (inflammation of the walls of the vagina) is accompanied by cutting and throbbing lower abdominal pain, itching and burning, and sometimes secretions.
- Candidiasis and thrush are accompanied by itching and white cheesy discharge.
- Adnexitis inflammation of the uterus appearances is manifested by mild pulling pains in the lower abdomen.
- Tumors and fibroids are often asymptomatic or with slight discomfort in the lower abdomen.
- Polycystic is accompanied by an increase in testosterone (male hormone), its excess leads to a delay in menstruation.
- If abortion was previously aborted (abortion or miscarriage).
- Contraceptive coil.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract – exacerbations of chronic gastritis, duodenitis, pancreatitis.
- Urinary system diseases – exacerbation of chronic pyelonephritis.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland.
- Diseases of the adrenal glands.
Delay of 10 days or more
With a normal state of health in a woman with a partner, this may mean the onset of pregnancy. To test, you can make a home pregnancy test or analysis of hCG, it is more reliable. If the test and analysis is negative, you must exclude the diseases listed above. To do this, contact the gynecologist, who will appoint an examination.
Delay 2 weeks or more
If the test and analysis of hCG is negative and you are not pregnant, then various diseases of the genital organs and somatic diseases can become the cause, see above. Be sure to contact your doctor, even if nothing else bothers you to delay.
What to do if there is a delay of more than 20 days?
- If there is discomfort in the lower abdomen, there is a discharge not similar to menstruation, you need to hurry to the doctor.
- Women who have sex should do a test, determine the associated symptoms and possible causes and contact the clinic.
- If a woman does not have sex and there are no menstruations from 20 days to 3 months, there are symptoms of indisposition, you need to visit a gynecologist.
- After discontinuation of contraceptive use, if the monthly did not begin within 2-3 months.
- If there is a delay of more than a month and a woman is 40 or more, premature menopause is possible.
Monthly delay for 3-6 months
Amenorrhea is called, it can be caused by a serious gynecological disease and requires mandatory examination by a gynecologist and additional research.
Pregnancy is the most common cause of delayed periods, if the baby is expected, the most joyful and pleasant. Monthly absent the entire period of pregnancy. In addition to the delay, it will show the following symptoms:
- nausea, vomiting;
- white discharge;
- pain in the lower abdomen;
- breast swelling, increased sensitivity;
- drowsiness, headache.
The more manifestations you have, the higher the probability. In women, there is implant bleeding on days 7-12 after conception. It may take several hours or a day. It is a sign of early conception, occurs at the time of attachment of a fertilized egg to the wall of the uterus.
Delay of the month during breastfeeding
After delivery, blood levels of prolactin, a hormone that stimulates lactation, are elevated. If a woman does not have milk after cesarean section or does not breastfeed for other reasons, the delay will be 1-3 months. If the child is breastfed, the delay will be the entire period of lactation, sometimes up to two to three years.
To determine how many days the delay lasts, the best assistant will be the menstrual calendar.
Each of the fair sex should regularly maintain the menstrual calendar, noting the first day of the month, their duration, the onset of the next month. This can be done on a paper calendar or use the monthly calendar online. This is a must-do for girls, who have just started to set the menstrual cycle, for adult women. He will help to identify abnormalities in time and plan the desired pregnancy. Many gynecological diseases, tumors in the early stages are asymptomatic, so even if nothing bothers you, except for the delay, it is better not to postpone your visit to the clinic. If the delays become regular, it is necessary to visit a gynecologist.
Delayed menses and diarrhea. Pregnancy is a special condition of a woman, when her body undergoes a series of changes. . READ MORE How many days should go normal menstruation.
First menstruation: how many days should last? . It is bad when the menstrual cycle fails. The delay of menstruation is usually not happy, except in the case when a girl is expecting a baby.