For pregnant women, the 2nd trimester is considered the most favorable. Already retreated toxicosis, significantly reduced the risk of abortion. However, in order for the future mother to feel good and the child fully develop, it is necessary to get enough vitamins, minerals and nutrients. The body receives the lion’s share with food and water, but often women in the position need to drink complex vitamins for pregnant women.
Second Term Features
In the second trimester of pregnancy (from 13 to 26 weeks), the most active growth of the baby occurs. All the internal organs of the child are already formed, he is gaining weight well, which will not slow down affecting the figure of a woman. Due to the significant progress in the development of the fetus, a woman may experience disorders in the gastrointestinal tract and cardiovascular system.
From the point of view of pregnancy, the 2nd trimester is considered the safest. However, the body needs an increased amount of nutrients, it’s time to revise your diet.
The most necessary vitamins and substances
What vitamins they drink in the second trimester:
What vitamins for pregnant women is better to take in the 2nd trimester:
Food sources of vitamins
List of natural sources of vitamins and minerals:
- E (tocopherol). Contained in vegetable oils (olive, corn, sunflower, sea buckthorn, linseed). Also, vitamin E is in greens, tomatoes, nuts, dried fruits, legumes, cereals. In insignificant quantities contained in meat, offal and milk.
- C (ascorbic acid). The main sources of vitamin C are: citrus, wild rose, black currant, sea buckthorn, sweet peppers, cabbage, carrots, lettuce.
- D (calciferol). Contained in fish oil, cod liver, sardines, salmon, herring. Vitamin D can also be obtained from dairy products and eggs.
- Vitamins of group B. Most are found in animal products – meat, offal, dairy products. Also sources of vitamin B are cereals, green vegetables, legumes.
- Calcium. To get calcium, pregnant women should include eggs, dairy products, all kinds of cabbage in their diets.
- Iodine. A significant amount of iodine is found in seafood, dried figs, sea kale, iodized salt. It should be borne in mind that heat treatment destroys iodine.
- Iron. A large amount of iron is found in meat products, cream, sour cream, chicken egg protein. Also its sources are apples, pomegranates, persimmon and other fruits.
Important features of taking vitamins:
- In the 2nd trimester, the expectant mother should receive at least 100-200ME of vitamin E. Tocopherol overdose is dangerous. This is a fat-soluble vitamin that can accumulate in the body. High doses of drugs can cause allergic reactions and oxygen starvation in the fetus. The first symptoms: headache, nausea, pain in the right hypochondrium.
- The rate of vitamin C is 90-100 mg. With an excess of ascorbic acid, a pregnant woman may feel tired, nauseous, and frequent headache. High doses can aggravate diabetes or cause kidney stones. The surplus has almost no effect on the baby, since the placenta carefully filters out the excess.
- Vitamin D must be used in the dosage of 400-600 IU. It is synthesized by exposure to ultraviolet light on the skin. Hypervitaminosis may be accompanied by cramps, pain in the joints, impaired function of the gastrointestinal tract (gastrointestinal tract). With an overdose in the body of a woman, insoluble calcium salts can be deposited, the concentration of urea in the blood rises, and blood pressure rises.
- Iodine during pregnancy should consume 150 micrograms. Iodine is quite toxic, it can trigger a miscarriage or a thyrotoxic crisis. Main symptoms: thirst, cough, tachycardia, enlargement of the thyroid gland, dizziness.
- Calcium must be taken 800-1000 mg per day. Overdose can cause calcification of the placenta.
- The optimal dose of iron is 30-60 mg. In case of anemia, an additional medication may be prescribed by a doctor. During pregnancy, an overdose of iron can cause premature labor, increased blood pressure, preeclampsia. Clear signs of overdose: glandular taste in the mouth, nausea, impaired coordination.
- An overdose of vitamins of group B is rarely fixed because they are water soluble and are easily excreted from the body with urine. However, drugs should not be abused.
Taking vitamins in the second trimester of pregnancy is necessary as prescribed by a doctor. The best reception time is in the morning. Wash them with clean water. You can not drink tablets on an empty stomach. Be sure to comply with the prescribed dosage.
To determine whether there is a need for pharmacy vitamins and dietary supplements, can only a doctor based on the tests. You can drink vitamins only in the specified dosage, following the manufacturer’s instructions. The drugs are especially indicated in the following cases:
- If a woman eats inferior or suffers from severe toxemia.
- If you have previously observed diseases associated with a lack of vitamins or minerals (for example, anemia).
- If you have a history of interrupted pregnancy or pathologies in the development of the fetus.
- Under adverse climatic or environmental conditions.
Multivitamins for pregnant women need to be taken wisely, since hypervitaminosis can negatively affect the development of the fetus and worsen the future mother’s well-being.
If nausea, dizziness, rashes on the skin and other unpleasant symptoms appear while taking vitamin preparations, you should stop drinking vitamins and consult a specialist.
Reviews of young and future mothers
Irina: From the 3rd month, the doctor recommended taking vitamins. Chose Vitrum Prenatal. Convenient in admission, no need to additionally drink other pills. Feel great, drink boldly.
Olga: In the first trimester I saw only folic acid and vitamin E. From the 4th month I began to drink Complivit. The drug is probably not bad, but because of the anemia, Tardiferon had to be taken additionally. It helped.
Anna: I started drinking multivitamins since the first month. Because of constant patrols, there is no time for a normal diet, so I decided to play it safe. Feeling good, no allergic reactions. Naturally, follow the dosage and recommendations in the instructions.
Pharmacies are full of vitamins of different brands, but from this diversity it is important to choose a truly complete complex for pregnant women. From the video you will learn which vitamins are better: