Each nursing mother was faced with the phenomenon when their baby spits up milk after breastfeeding, and if the baby is on IV, then after taking the mixture. Basically, this is a normal physiological process in the development of a child, which does not particularly bother him and with which the child later, developing physiologically, copes himself. In rare cases, regurgitation is a symptom of a disease that can be determined by a specialist. Of course, young parents are worried about the reasons why the child is belching, so we will try to figure it out.
Burping is the process of discharging milk from the stomach through the mouth. Is it normal for a baby to spit up milk? It turns out, not always.
Causes of regurgitation
- The most common cause of regurgitation in an infant is overfeeding. Milk, which turned out to be superfluous, is naturally removed from the child’s stomach;
- The cause of regurgitation after eating can be a violation of the bowels. For example, constipation or colic, which create obstacles to the normal passage of food;
- Incorrect feeding by breastfeeding and, as a result, improper nipple grip, leading to swallowing of air with milk, which is below the milk in the stomach, literally “shoots” it back (See how to breastfeed properly);
- The reason for this may be the lack of development of the muscles of the esophageal sphincter. Man needs this valve to prevent food from flowing from the stomach into the esophagus. In adults, all it is, the valve is working normally. In infants, this sphincter is underdeveloped; finally, it begins to function only by the year;
- Do not forget about the environmental causes of what is happening. In modern living conditions, an infant may experience an allergic reaction to the product that adults consider natural. In fact, the fresh fruits and vegetables we buy are not always environmentally friendly;
- Wrong behavior of parents who immediately after feeding begin to turn the newborn from side to side, squeeze, sway in the stroller and
This type of regurgitation should alert mom. The reasons for this may be several:
- prematurity of the baby, in which the digestive system works in slow motion;
- unsuccessful transition from breastfeeding to artificial;
- intestinal colic, which prevent food from moving normally through the intestines;
- deformation of the internal organs.
But not always regurgitation fountain means the presence of some kind of pathology. Abundant regurgitation can also occur for perfectly removable reasons.
However, if the child regurgitates frequently and suddenly, consult a doctor.
In the case when the baby spits up breast milk, you need to examine the stain. If the child burped curled milk or the mass resembles cottage cheese, you can calm down. This is not vomiting. Pour a teaspoon of water next to the stain. If the spots are about the same size – everything is normal. To worry and to see a doctor should be if the baby spits a lot.
- Stop overfeeding your baby if you do it (Article on the topic: how much milk a newborn should eat). With a well-established process of breastfeeding, the baby will eat as much as he needs. Feed on demand and do not give the breast when the child does not ask. Watch also for the correct grip. If the baby swallows air, then regurgitation is inevitable.
- Carefully monitor the condition of the abdomen of an infant. It should not be bloated. A soft belly and a calm baby are a guarantee that everything is in order.
- The chair also matters. Remember when it was last time. With these observations, you can eliminate the presence of constipation and colic in the baby (See the article on how often babies cope).
When feeding the mixture
If your baby after a mixture of regurgitation, the reasons for this may be the same as that of breastfed babies.
- The primary reason is overeating. It is much easier to regulate the volume of the food being eaten by a bottle-fed baby. The amount of the mixture in the bottle should strictly correspond to the age of the child.
- Check also the hole in the nipple. It should not be too big. In the process of feeding it is important to eliminate the ingestion of air, and for this the nipple must be constantly filled with the mixture.
- Perhaps the baby spit up the mixture, because it does not tolerate it. Try with a pediatrician to pick up something else. Now there are milk formulas that help prevent it from flowing out of the stomach (how to choose a mixture).
- To check a tummy it is necessary by the same principle, as at breastfeeding.
Video: Why does the baby “burp” after feeding? Baby 1 month:
Answers the question: pediatrician Smirnova
If the child regurgitates lying on his back, the likelihood of airway blockage and the subsequent development of pneumonia is likely. In this case, it should be immediately turned over on the tummy or picked up. So baby can get rid of the remnants of food.
For the proper functioning of the intestines, children can be given motilium, from spasms – riabal. But we give the preparations to the baby only after consulting with a specialist. You do not know the exact cause of the regurgitation.
If the baby often regurgitates, you can take note of several time-tested techniques that will help you minimize the chance of regurgitation.
- Before feeding, give your baby an opportunity to lie down a little on his stomach. It takes only a few minutes.
- During feeding, the baby’s body should be in a reclining state with a raised head. We also help to properly capture the breast or control the nipple filling.
- If the child regurgitates after feeding, he should be held a little upright. This will allow the air to escape. Immediately after feeding no activity. We allow the baby only quiet games and do not touch it unnecessarily.
When do we need a doctor?
Burping is a process that almost any mother can handle on her own. But in some cases, medical assistance is still needed.
If the baby constantly regurgitates or the mass that you observe after the process has changed the volume, smell or color, you should contact the experts. First of all – to the pediatrician. Then he can refer you to a neurologist, a gastroenterologist and a surgeon.
Also, do not delay the visit to the doctor, if the baby is strongly regurgitating, and after crying or bending. Such behavior may mean that the child’s walls of the esophagus are irritated.
Regurgitation of the fountain after each feeding, the rise in temperature after the regurgitation, or its similarity to vomit, requires close attention. Show the child to the specialist, do not risk in vain.
Burping after the child reaches the age of one year should also be alarming. By this age, this whole unpleasant process must go on its own. Otherwise, this means a pathology in the body of a baby, the nature of which can only be determined by physicians.
Signs of normal regurgitation
- How to determine that regurgitation is a natural process, not a manifestation of the disease in an infant? First, you should not worry if the child spits up after each feeding or even with a “fountain”, but gains weight well, and the increase corresponds to the child’s developmental standards.
- The normal volume of regurgitation is from 2 to 4 tablespoons, which are easily determined by the size of the wet spot. Also, regurgitation should not bother the parents if the baby has good stools and urination.
- If parents noticed that regurgitation causes anxiety in the infant, this may indicate postpartum effects (damage to certain parts of the nervous system) during hypoxia (oxygen starvation during labor). Over time, this will gradually pass.
We read further on the topic:
VIDEO: What to do if the baby bursts after feeding
Hello girls! Today I will tell you how I managed to get in shape, lose 20 kilograms, and finally get rid of creepy complexes of fat people. I hope the information will be useful to you!
Do you want to read our materials first? Subscribe to our telegram channel