Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (IATA: ATL, ICAO: KATL, FAA LID: ATL), also known as Atlanta Airport, Hartsfield Airport and Hartsfield-Jackson, is located 11 km to the south from the central business district of Atlanta, Georgia, USA. It is the busiest airport in the world for passenger traffic and for take-off / landing. The airport is the main hub of Delta Air Lines, AirTran Airways, Shuttle America under the flag of Delta Connection, as well as a partner of Delta Connection Atlantic Southeast Airlines; The Delta Hub is the world’s largest hub. Delta Air Lines transported 56% of airport passengers in 2007, AirTran – 19%, and Atlantic Southeast Airlines – 12%.  At the airport, 196 exits. 
In 2007, Hartsfield-Jackson became the busiest passenger airport in the world in terms of passenger traffic (
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport serves international flights to North America, South America, Central America, Europe, Asia and Africa. Hartsfield-Jackson ranks seventh as the US international gateway; the first is owned by John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.  However, the number of international flights at the airport is increasing. In 2007, Atlanta Airport transported 10.2% more international passengers than the previous year. Total airport services used in 2007
The airport is located partly within the city’s College Park, which is located south of Atlanta, but most of it is located in the territories of the Fulton and Clayton counties that are not part of settlements; also the territory of the airport lies on the lands of the cities of Atlanta , East Point and Hapville . You can get to the airport using the transport system MARTA.
The history of Hartsfield-Jackson Airport began with the conclusion of a five-year lease agreement for an area of 116 hectares, which previously housed an abandoned circuit. The lease agreement was signed on April 16, 1925 by the mayor, Walter Sims, who acquired the land in the interests of the city for the construction of the airfield. The agreement provided for the site to be renamed Candler Field by the name of its former owner, the founder of Coca-Cola and the former mayor of Atlanta, Asa Candler. The first flight to Candler Field was made on September 15, 1926 by a mail plane Florida Airways, flown in from Jacksonville. In May 1928 the airline Pitcairn Aviation began flights to Atlanta, and in June 1930 – Delta Air Service. Later, these two airlines, now known as Eastern Air Lines and Delta Air Lines, began using Atlanta as their main hubs.
The first control tower at Candler Field was opened in March 1939, and in October 1940 the US government announced the creation of an air base. During World War II, the airport area doubled, and a record 1,700 take-offs and landings on the same day were made on it, making it the USA’s busiest take-off / landing airport.
In 1946, Candler Field was renamed the Atlanta Municipal Airport. In 1948, more than one million passengers passed through the hangar of the war period, which served as a terminal building. On June 1, 1956, Eastern Airlines flight to Montreal (Canada) was the first international flight from Atlanta. In 1957, Atlanta took the first jet: Sud Aviation Caravelle from Washington, and in the same year a new terminal was built, thanks to which it was possible to reduce the number of passengers. Atlanta was the busiest airport in the country with a passenger turnover of more than two million passengers a year, and eventually became the busiest airport in the world.
On May 3, 1961, a new terminal was opened at a cost of $ 21 million, the largest in the country, and was able to receive more than six million passengers a year. The new airport was overloaded in the very first year, when it received 9.5 million people. In 1967, the Atlanta authorities and airlines began work on a master plan for the future development of the Atlanta Municipal Airport.
Construction began in the middle of the existing terminal in January 1977 under the administration of Mayor Maynard Jackson. It was the largest construction project in the southern states of the United States, costing $ 500 million. Named after the former mayor of Atlanta, William Berry Hartsfield, who did a lot for the development of air travel, Atlanta B. Hartsfield International Airport opened on September 21, 1980 in time and within the allocated budget.  It was designed to service up to 55 million passengers a year and occupied 230,000 square meters. In December 1984, the construction of the fourth parallel runway was completed, and one more runway was extended to
In May 2001, construction began on the fifth runway with a length of 2,700 m (10-28). Its construction was completed on May 27, 2006,  and became the first runway built after 1984. It passes through a bridge over highway 285 in the southern part of the airport. As a result of the construction, residential buildings and cemeteries were destroyed. The new runway takes aircraft of medium and small size, which allows unloading large runways for receiving large aircraft, such as the Boeing 777. After the opening of the fifth runway, Hartsfield-Jackson became one of the few airports capable of landing three airplanes at the same time.  The fifth runway increased the airport’s ability to receive aircraft by 40%, from an average of 184 flights per hour to 237. 
In addition to the fifth runway, a new control tower was also built so that it was possible to control the entire length of the runways. The new control tower – the highest control tower at the airport in the United States, with a height of 121 m. The old tower control tower with a height of 178 meters was dismantled on August 5, 2006.
On October 20, 2003, the Atlanta city council voted to change its name to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, in honor of the former African-American mayor Maynard Jackson, the first mayor of Atlanta, who died on June 23, 2003. The council originally planned to rename the airport solely in honor of Jackson, but public protests, especially descendants of the mayor of Hartsfield, led to a compromise solution
In April 2007, the district taxiway was opened. It will save from $ 26 to $ 30 million on fuel, allowing aircraft that land from the north runway to drive to gates without creating obstacles to taking off. The taxiway passes below the runway at 9.1 m, which allows not to stop the takeoffs. [ten]
The airport currently employs about 55,300 airline employees, land transport workers, concessionaires, security, federal government, Atlanta city services and tenants, and is considered the largest employer in Georgia. [eleven]